Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

No 4g abroad

amh13
4: Newbie

Hi, I have been in italy for 3 days now and I cannot get 4g on my phone. Only 3g. I have tried forcing my phone onto Vodafone IT 4G, but it only goes to No Service before reverting back to 3G. I am near switzerland so I tried selecting swiss operators, but I had the same issue, even though there is strong 4G signal. I have spoken about 5 times in the chat, and they reset my 4g settings, checked my account, but nothing. I also tried the sim in different devices, but again - only 3g. Whenever I enter an area with 4g coverage, my phone goes to No Service for about 5 minutes before going back to 3g again. I have performed a network reset on my device, i have taken the sim out for 30 minutes, restarted the phone, but the issue remains. 3G is very slow here because it is a touristy area and speeds often drop below 1mbit. I tried a local Vodafone IT sim card, and my phone immediately connected to 4G with a full signal and excellent data speeds.

49 REPLIES 49

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@amh13 - So we can look into this further, I’ve sent you a private message with instructions on how to get in touch.

I filled in the form and sent it. Hopefully this issue can be fixed, as it seems very strange.

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

In Dublin today and no 4G

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

This seems to be quite a widespread issue. My account has 2 sims, I tried the second one today and it also wasn't connecting to 4g (I tried Swisscom, Vodafone IT, Wind). What really gets me is why most people aren't having any problems, whilst others are.

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@amh13 - Let us know your email reference number form the auto reply (this will look like [#1649865]) and we’ll check on it.

@jeffkinn – Have you had any kind of connection to 4G (for example, 4G did connect, but the speeds were very low), or would this not connect at all?

Also, have you been able to use 4G in the same area previously?

Hi, I didn't get any autoreply email. I submitted the form once, and was just redirected to the Vodafone homepage without any confirmation that the form had been sent. So i tried again, completed the form, and the same thing happened. So i figured that it must've submitted. Just in case it hadn't been (as it appears to be the case), I called the complaint centre today and explained everything, they were very helpful and said that my issue is being looked into and should be resolved within 48 hours. They told me to call again on Thursday if I still have problems.

Small update: about half an hour ago I picked up my phone and to my surprise I was on 4g. However as soon as I opened chrome, my phone went to No Service, then 3g and since then I have not been able to access 4g again. 

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Thanks for the update @amh13 

Please check your spam/junk folders to see if the reply has gone into there.

If not, please try again from a different browser and if possible, using a different email address (just in case that’s causing it not to send).

Hi, since that brief moment this afternoon when I got 4g, I have continued having the problems I had before. And no glimpse of 4g whatsoever, just No Service every time my phone detects 4g and tries to connect. It is straining my battery as well, in 3 hours without using my phone it drained by 50%.

With regards to the form, I think I'm going to wait until Thursday to see if the complaints team manage to fix my problem (they passed me through to the technical department and I spoke directly to them today over the phone - I was told there is probably an error with the 4g provisioning on my account )

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Thanks for letting us know @amh13.

I'm sorry to see this is still ongoing - Please let us know if you require any further assistance after our team have contacted you regarding 4G and your account. :smileyhappy: