Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Number change issue

Hickmanbcfc
2: Seeker

I recently got a new phone and have moved over my old number to my new phone. It has been working fine for weeks but have been told by a lot of people that when I call and text people, it's still the number that I got with the phone that displays and not the ported over number.

When people call or text my ported number, it still works and I receive them but when I send a text or call myself, the wrong number displays. I'm having a guess that it's the number that I was given with my new sim. Can anyone help please.

8 REPLIES 8

63johnw
17: Community Champion

Hi @Hickmanbcfc  what phone are you using?

iPhone 11

63johnw

Have a look in settings, phone, my number and make sure your correct number is there, if not then change it. 

I think that's worked, thanks

R-g-mitchell

I'm having the same issue on a Samsung s21fe any help would be great x

@R-g-mitchell - thank for reaching out to us 😊

Please can you test the below:

1. Open your phone’s Settings app > Google > Manage your Google Account.
  2. At the top, select Personal info
  3. Under Contact info select Phone
  4. Next to your number, select Edit and then Update number
  5. Follow the steps on the screen.

Please also check the following:

1. Open Messages
  2. Select Advanced 
  3. Select Phone Number
  4. Update the number

I hope this helps. Please let us know how you get on. 

So I've changed that but I'm still getting texts as the wrong number is there a way to change this as its not my number?

Screenshot_20220803-185139_Messages.jpg

AnnS

Hi @R-g-mitchell 

I  notice from your screenshot you are using chat settings, you need to turn this off and use the standard SMS Application.

On your message settings > three dots at the top > settings > chat settings > change the default to text, MMS messages.  The number should then correctly display.  If you go into the chat settings, this will be set to the number first used, you should be able to clear this from the chat settings to display the correct number.  There is further information in chat here: Messaging Features 

If this  persists, you may be looking at a factory reset, this will clear the phone of bugs and the previous number.  

Please also refer to device guides here Device Guides