main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Network queries

Plex data blocked?

2: Seeker

Trying to watch videos from my media server running plex over a 4g connection.  App on the phone sees my home server and let's me browse my catalogue but I can not play any videos over 4g. If I switch to a friends wifi I can play videos fine but the moment I switch back to 4g it dies again...

Speed test for where I am at the moment is showing my 4g connection as having a 33ms ping, 77Mbit down and 17Mbit upload speed.

Customer service has said they reset my connection but hasn't made any difference.  Could Voda's net protect be causing this or are they blocking plex in general?  Any one else with this issue or have any suggestions?

View more options
4 REPLIES 4
17: Community Champion

Blocking is happening with quite a few options to stream copyrighted material online which is also happening with other sites too and as such Servers are being seized  

There is a legal obligation to stop people watching copyrighted films etc via streaming online. 

Is Vodafone actively blocking Plex ? - I don't know.

Current Phone > Samsung Note 9 _512Gb > Model: SM-N960 Hybrid-Duos.

Samsung One Ui  / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

View more options

Plex is a legal and private home media server, not an illegal streaming service.

View more options
17: Community Champion

I read a bit on Reddit and this page came to light even googling about uploading say a film you've purchased and then share it. 

Maybe I used the wrong wording when mentioning streaming  

reddit.com/r/PleX/comments/69qh3g/new_uk_streaming_law_plex.

As I mentioned I'm unaware if Vodafone are blocking such avenues  

I Wish you all the best. 

Current Phone > Samsung Note 9 _512Gb > Model: SM-N960 Hybrid-Duos.

Samsung One Ui  / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

View more options

That article in the reddit post was a click bait piece, there was a link further down to a piece on torrentfreak that had much better info.

Regarding my issue, after multiple chats with customer service they noticed that data wasn't provisioned properly for my sim. This was corrected but still couldn't stream, so it came down to the likelihood that the sim card itself was at fault.  Replaced the sim and hey presto! It works, finally!

View more options