Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Poor network reception

jppdavies999
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I live in Devauden, Near Chepstow, Gwent. Post code NP16 6NB

When we first came to live here in 2011 my wife got good access to the Vodafone mobile network so I changed from Orange to Vodafone. Over the years the network has been fairly good. But over the last few months the network has become more difficult to access. Often we have to leave the house just to get a signal and even then it may take some time before it picks up a signal. My wife and myself have different types of phone but the lack of service is seen on both phones. I polled the other 18 people on this estate and a number of them have mentioned that the service from Vodafone has become very poor in the last few months but was fine some time back.

Has there anything significant changed in this area? Would it be possible to check the local masts and coverage in this area.

I am aware of the SURE product.

John Davies

11 REPLIES 11

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi

The Vodafone network checker isn't highlighting any local or surrounding masts issues. 

However it does show your postcode is fringe coverage. 

Options such as a Sure Signal which creates a 3g signal would be beneficial but does cost a one off £69

Also for people on eligible contracts and accepted handsets there is Vodafone calling over WiFi. 

Link > Network checker.

If you can fill out the network issues template and post your answer back here then Vodafone Tech can look.at this. 

Template is http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Network-queries/Network-issues-initial-checks-and-template/td-p/25405...

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Post Title: NP16

1) Does the issue happen in just one location? If so, how far do you have to travel to regain service?

Usually get reception after walking outside by 20-30 metres. But used to be fine indoors.

2) What is the full postcode (e.g. ST1 1AA) of where the issue occurs? If you don't want this showing on the Community, add it to your profile here. NP16 6NB

3) Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone?

Not tried sim in differenet phone but I  have been told  that four different phones demonstrate the same effect over the the estate ( just 18 houses)

4) What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs?

No errors but just get no signal indoors. Even outdoors often just get 1 bar signal strength. Was strong before.

5) Does this happen on 2G, 3G, 4G or all?

2G and 3G here - no 4G yet

6) When did you first notice this issue?

Over the last few months. Just slowly getting worse over the last few months

7) Is the issue permanent or intermittent? If intermittent, are there certain times of the day when it occurs?

Permanent now

Addition info- some people on EE have mentioned that their signal has also become very weak. Is Vodafone sharing a mast with EE??

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@jppdavies999 I've checked your local serving site (94) and it's performing correctly. 

I can't see any significant changes in your area recently, however I can see that 3G coverage is very limited, you may benefit by manually switching your phone down to 2G whilst in this area. If you need help with how to do this, let us know what device you're using. 

As @BandOfBrothers stated, you may also benefit from Sure Signal or Wi-Fi Calling

I have a Galaxy S4 mini. I would be interested in finding out how to fix to G2. Its not obvious.

John Davies

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@jppdavies999 You may find this guide useful. 

Follow the steps and read through the options to select the best one for you. 

Give this a try and let us know how you get on. :smileyhappy:

Alex,

Ok tried all the different possibilities - We dont have 4G(LTE) around here at all. No real difference between GSM or WCDMA.

I have been using netmonitor on my mobile phone.

If I go outside then I can get signals for both GSM and WCDMA.

However both are quite weak with typical signal strengths of around -103Dbm.

The other thing I have noticed is that invariably I can only see two transmitters which are both from New Inn, Pontypool. Direct line of site to these is abpout 19km. Surely there must be nearer trnsmitters than this.

Just to give  a fuller picture if fixed to GSM then sometimes get  signal from Caerwent (NP26 5PA) but again very low signal level

here with readings from Netmonitor today

I am sure you will understand the LAC and CID etc

287 63674 726 234 15

UK NP4 0QS Pontypool New INN 7-21 Heol Isaf

287 63675 726 234 15

UK NP4 0QS Pontypool New INN 7-21 Pont-Y-Felin Rd.,

Both were about -103 DBm - outside. No signal inside.

Again I repeat my earlier note that just a few months back there was good reception for most people but now its very bad.

There is also an entry for the local EE transmitter just 240 metres away but I guess you are not interested in that.

John Davies

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@jppdavies999 I've checked your serving site (94) and the coverage in your area - 3G is very limited for outdoor coverage and 2G is outdoors only. You can see this on our network coverage checker

As previously advised, you would benefit from Wi-Fi Calling or using a Sure Signal in this area. 

The postcode of your serving site is NP15 1ND.

There are currently no planned changes for the next three months in your area, however you can check back on our coverage checker for any future updates.

This forum is getting me no-where.

If my server site is NP15 1ND why dont I see any signal from that area. Please explain the discrepancy where my phone only receives signal from much further away.

So my position is that for the last five years signal indooors /outdoors has been ok. For some reason over the last few months the signal has become weaker and weaker.

The answer form Vodafone is either Vodafone-safe or Wifi-Calling.

Vodafone-safe has a reputation of being an unreliable and even dangerous product:

See

http://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Vodafone-Sure-Signal/Suresignal-V3-Overheated-Blew-Up-Exploded-Hot-Bu...

I have one of these devices – borrowed from a friend – but it does not switch on. Vodafone’s answer is to buy another one at £69 because its out of warranttee despite the official line form Vodafone specified that all units should be replaced, out of warrantte or not. Who would buy a device of such poor quality under these circumstances?

And why should I spend £69 to resolve a Vodafone network problem which until recently did not exist.

Wifi-calling is only available for those with a contract and a smart phone. What about those without either of these?

John Davies

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@jppdavies999 The site at NP15 1ND is your nearest serving site – you do receive signal at your location from that site, however this is mostly outdoors only as advised.

Each site can vary in the range of coverage it provides and the closest one to your location with that range, is the one in NP15.

There is a site slightly closer at NP16 6SH, however this covers a smaller area and the coverage doesn't reach as far as your postcode.

Coverage can change over time for many reasons such as new buildings, tall/overgrown trees or an increase in people moving into the area (especially large business premises).

There are no changes planned in your area for the next three months, but you can keep an eye on our coverage checker for any updates.

Regarding the Sure Signal you're using, if this is a version 3 and has no power, please ask the owner to contact us via Live Chat and we'll be able to get this sorted.