Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

SG1 Stevenage

dcwt2010
4: Newbie

1) Does the issue happen in just one location? If so, how far do you have to travel to regain service?

Unsure as I primarily use my phone at this location (workplace). 

2) What is the full postcode (e.g. ST1 1AA) of where the issue occurs? If you don't want this showing on the Community, add it to your profile here.

SG1 2FX 

3) Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone?

Yes, it is phone independent.

4) What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs?

Basically data transfer speeds are slow enough that it can take minutes to load a webpage. Whilst indoors I can still get medium 3G and 4G signal (~106 to 116dBm for 4G). It's not a strong signal but before when I was on EE, with similar signal strengths I could browse the internet, use social media apps etc without any noticeable issues. Since switching to Vodafone it has been so slow as to border on being unusable. 

I checked the coverage map and bought a PAYG sim to check the signal indoors but actual usable speeds seem to be much poorer compared to EE.

5) Does this happen on 2G, 3G, 4G or all?

As this is a mobile data issue, for 3G and 4G.

6) When did you first notice this issue?

Since I joined Vodafone last year in early December.

7) Is the issue permanent or intermittent? If intermittent, are there certain times of the day when it occurs?

Permanent

16 REPLIES 16

dcwt2010
4: Newbie

I can see that issue was raised in June 2017.

https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Network-queries/Stevenage-speeds/m-p/2563498#M163309

Doesn't look like it was ever sorted...

John
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@dcwt2010 I've taken a closer look into the postcode you've provided and everything appears to be working as it should.
You're in a good coverage area for 2G, 3G and 4G and there's no know issues on your site 11222.
As you've said you're having some trouble accessing the internet using your data, we'll be more than happy to raise this to our Network Engineers.
So we can help you further, I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch.

Thanks, it's not a issue with accessing the mobile data but rather that the data transfer rate is so poor indoors (even though it gives me half signal strength) that it takes an age to load webpages.

I've just carried out a speedtest; download rate of 0.59Mbs and upload rate of 0.04Mbs, ping time 47ms (only bit that's acceptable)

I'll upload it when I get a chance but this is not what I would consider acceptable mobile data speeds. Unfortunately I am passed the cooling period so I can't just duck out of this 2 year contract but I'll be damned if I let you guys fob me off with any actual action.

I just found a workaround; if I force my phone to 3g only it will give me data speeds of around 5.2 and 2.8 Mbs U/L which is usable.

You need to investigate why 4g data rates are so poor. I can give signal strengths if you can get technical to look into it.

For the record I'm using pixel 2 so it's fully up to date.

John
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@dcwt2010 Thanks for getting back to us with that information.

I've checked your email using your email address linked to your Community profile and we haven't received your email.

If you've used an alternative email address, please let us know the reference number you've received (it will look something like this: [#12345678].

Once we receive your email, we'll be able to investigate further :Smiling:

Had a busy day yesterday so unfortunately didn't send it off till just now. Look forward to your team's support.

I've had an email to say on Thurs that an engineer will look into it so hopefully I'll hear something end of this week?

Meanwhile this is another screenshot of a speed test; that upload rate is basically making the connection unusable. 

So far I have been less than impressed by Vodafone's coverage and I really wish I had stayed on EE now. 

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@dcwt2010 Thanks for the new speed test. 

I can see our Network engineers are now looking into your query under INC3301750 🙂

Once we receive an update, we'll be sure to update you on here or via email.

"Following their investigations, they’ve stated that they’ve been unable to locate any changes to the area and you should be getting good data speeds when connecting to 4G.

However, they’ve advised that you may experience better coverage in your area when switching down to 3G in your phone settings when in the location.

We’re continually working hard to improve our coverage throughout the UK and you’ll be able to find any planned improvements or upgrades in your area through the network status checker.

Please let us know how you get on."

Is what I received today and I can't say I am impressed. Are you literally suggesting to customers that they should manually switch between 3G and 4G to have usable mobile data? I am tech savvy but most average users aren't and even if they were it doesn't make sense that the customer has to mess around with settings.

Frankly, having not touched Vodafone for the past decade I am now fully regreting the contract with you guys. 

Your coverage is deceptive; there may be 4G reception but it might be unusable which the begs the question of why bother? I suspect that your 4G capacity has been reached which means your network is oversubscribed.