Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Slow speed/ router issue

SPLOMONO
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi Guys,

I signed up with Vodafone BB back in October 2016 and since then I have had a few problems as to which I hope someone might be able to clear up.

1st I want to mention I came from sky fibre I whilst with Sky I had a consistent 36mb down and 9.5 up and when ever I was downloading a movie or a game I was averaging around 5mb down. This never seemed to dip and was always around the same speed. 

I signed up with Vodafone as they they informed me that the maximum speed I could get would be 52mb down and 11 mb up and the minimum would be 42mb down and 9mb up. As i work in telecommunications I have a big understanding how the network works and all the factors that come in when getting an average speed. The problem I have had is that I very rarely get 48mb down and most of the time my speed sits around 32mb down which is quite disappointing. Also if I was to download a movie or game I would get about 3mb down.

To me this is quite concerning as I have seen standard mpf broadband speeds download faster. So my question here is, do Vodafone monitor high usage and if so is it possible they are lowering my speeds to compensate for this.

The other thing I would like to mention is that just before Christmas my router had fit and I had to hard reset the router, but since then I don't seem to be getting any lights show up on my router anymore. I have tried to 192 my router to see what speeds the router is actually receiving but I can't seem to find anywhere on the net that can tell me the log in details to access that info.

If anybody has any further advice or tips I would appreciate it. Many thanks.

P.s. The speed tests I have completed have been done via hard wire. 

1 REPLY 1

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @SPLOMONO

Many things can affect speed which as you work in telecommunications you may know of. 

I use the Ookla Speedtest option and particularly look at the Ping figure which can give an indication if things are not Ok. What's your Ping result ?

I do not use the Vodafone Broadband Service and Router but when my speeds were dipping (I only use Wifi) I changed wireless channel and split the frequencies to 2.4ghz and 5ghz on my Home Hub 5 which helped tremendously. 

Vodafone will not release any internal settings for their router which also stops a person using their own Router too. 

Vodafone Broadband > Got a question?

08080 034 515
(free from all UK landlines and mobiles)
Lines are open between 8am and 11pm, seven days a week.

Vodafone has a Help Link I here >

What should I do if I’m having problems with broadband connectivity?

My-broadband-is-slow-How-can-I-make-it-faster.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.