main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Network queries

Strict NAT 3 type on 4g gigacube

Ash194
5: Helper

why are screenshots being asked for when this is such an old thread? Where an issue has already been admitted allegedly escalated and apparently “being looked into”? This is like calling their call center only this time there is an audience that gets to cringe at the embarrassing incompetence  as well.

View more options
AlphaDelta89
2: Seeker

Here to report back my findings.

December 2019 I was experimenting using the Xbox One with my Vodafone 4G handset by using mobile hotspot. Came across the NAT type 3 restriction. 

Researched Three from this thread, came across it was usable. Problem is, 4G on Three is not as reliable compared to Vodafone. But realised this, or a SMARTY SIM was my only option. 

Took a gamble on the Three 5G (ready) Gigcube. Basically is an Alexa device, but is Three's version of Vodafone's Gigacube. Happy for the price, unlimited £25 a month for two years. 

Three months in, start picking up days where I have no data service or it is extremely slow, like 1mbps. So painful at times, I suspect this is a network capacity issue, and I have no evidence yet, but some days of the week or month may be worse than others. I want to drop Three some days, but it works most days, just not everyday, when you need it. Best advice is to try and work around it, doing stuff on days it doesn't work on other chores. I know this is not the best thing you want to hear. 

I would love to be on Vodafone 4G, but if you want to use it for intensive gaming it is not for you. Three is your only option, but do your research for coverage. If three looks poor, there are outdoors boosters you can fix on your roof, but this is an additional expense. I haven't got round to it yet, but I have contemplated trying it. 

No evidence on EE, but I would exercise caution and do your research to see if it works. 

View more options
Pubgrundy

I was a die hard Three fan. 

Back in 2010 I got onto the infamous "One Plan".  £15 a month, all you can eat EVERYTHING. Back then I was getting a solid 20-40mb/s on 3g in York.

Moved to London, and still great signal and not as good speeds, but unlimited kept me with them until they finally ended that plan in 2014 (My Mrs was on it too but didn't get "the call" until about mid 2017!)

So I gave EE a shot since their 4g speeds were apparently ludicrous.

Which was true... When I had signal.

I was amazed how often throughout London I'd lose 4g and often even 3g signal. So I jumped back on Three again the moment my year was up.

Buuut then I moved to Leeds city centre & was getting MAX 2mb/s on 4g.

Turns out all of Leeds has a single mast, and to top that off O² is piggy backing off of it. Both the Three store & the O² stores assistants could not show me a speedtest over 3mb/s in the city centre. 

Both EE & Voda assistants got great speeds in the centre, Voda getting >80mb/s.

So I went with Vodafone.

Very very happy with that choice.

However, was not happy to discover my internet in my city centre flat only had copper wire 10mb internet, so since I was happy with the Vodafone 4g experience with my phone, I got a 5g & Gigacube contract, low & behold I discovered NAT Type 3 on day 1. Tried every fix. Cancelled it on day 10.

They have such a good service, but being the only ISP in the UK still rocking NAT type 3 is a choice that utterly flabbergasts me.

Doesn't matter now as the Mrs & I are buying a house that has Virgin 1gb access. Still... I'll shout from the rooftops to everyone "don't buy 5g based home internet from Vodafone, it's a waste of money and, very weirdly, has abysmal latency compared to 4g (or even my old Three 3g!). Best I ever got was about 70ms with full signal and around 150mb/s.

View more options
Ash194

wish I could get out of contract, I want to get excited about the PS5 but I would be very surprised indeed if they resolve this by then. There is clearly a complete lack of will to solve this by Vodafone.

View more options
Mrbubba999
3: Seeker

My Vodafone contract can now be cancelled, as we still haven't moved house yet, I need another 4g provider for Broadband. 

I've just put a Virgin Sim in to test and I got some reasonable speeds, much more than Vodafone, but not super fast fibre speed. 

As I game on an Xbox, have 4 children in the house who all want to stream Netflix and Amazon, I need something reliable. 

Which ones are better for gaming? 

Three, EE or O2? 

View more options
CartoonHead
4: Newbie

Heard good things about 3 but can’t confirm my Vodafone 5g is up soon myself so update ne here how you get on what ever you decide 

View more options
Mrbubba999

Three do a 1 month rolling contract with unlimited data for £26 a month, so I'm trying them out 1st.

Sim arrives on Thursday 

I have 50gb a month on my Virgin Sim, so I'll compare it against that (they use EE) and make a decision on what to go for 

View more options
Tap82

I use 3 mobile, open NAT and good speed. Have been using them for 5+ years, cheep at £20 a month unlimited.

View more options
Mrbubba999

What 4G router is recommended to use with Three? I want to make the most of the 4g+ speed, which my current setup doesn't run.

I want to use the "Carrier aggregation" which is what I think the 4g+ is

The TP Link Archer AC1200 has the option, but apparently doesn't work with Three 

View more options
Tap82

The HUAWEI b535 works well with 4g+ On three mobile, not seen 4g+ on any other provider other than 3 mobile.

View more options
AlphaDelta89

I've finally got FTTP and I no longer need my Three 4G device. 

There's only about 15 months left if someone wants to take the contract off me. No longer gets used, you get the full Amazon Alexa Huawei Cube with it, box it came in and all. I will prefer to do this via Facebook so if you are interested, I will setup a transaction. 

View more options
cheyneyc

Has anyone managed to fix this? Just bought a 5G gigacube... This will cause a return and contract cancellation if no fix within the 14 day period...

Shocked they havent fixed this - googling this and can find threads going back years! Wonder how much £rev they've lost on this

View more options
cheyneyc

Just had confirmation from Vodafone CS that NAT Type 3 is a "Company Policy" and "Cant be changed". 

Nuts. How can a company release a Mobile WiFi product for domestic use and expect customers to keep it when it is structurally incompatible with Xbox/Playstations?

Will be triggering my 14 day cooling off period refund. Shame! A bunch of customers willing to spend £50pm on broadband (vs fixed line solutions at c.£20pm), but they go a drop the ball with something as simple as NAT type.

View more options
CartoonHead

Send it back my contract it up in January then I move to EE for 5g 

View more options
Mrbubba999

I canceled and went with a Three unlimited rolling one month contract, it's cheaper and faster! 

Vodafone did offer me a deal to stay, but it meant paying more for a worse service.

So far no Nat issues with Three and a Huawei B818 router

They did ask me if I'd tried Vodafone support, I mentioned that it had been ongoing for a few years, I got the usual "You're a valued customer, what can we do?" 

View more options
Ash194

We paid ours off early and switched to three on the exact same device and service. 300 mbps and open NAT just wish they had 5G in our area before I joined Vodafone.

View more options
CartoonHead

That’s good to know I can get 5g so will be glad to get open nat 

View more options