Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Terrible signal at STANSTED AIRPORT

Rye1
4: Newbie

Can anyone shed any light on the absolutely awful signal for both data and calls at Stansted Airport?

H and 4G signal shows up, as do 3 bars in the phone reception, but calls are almost impossible, and any data usage is either non-existant (usually the case) or so bad that you just have to give up.

I'm especially griped as I tested the signal last year before going full time Vodafone (using my 1 month trial period) the signal worked fine so I signed up on a contract. I also got my other half to change from EE only to find that now the signal(s) are so atrocious as to be worthless. I had been on Three with similar problems (signal showing as available but unusable data) and really liked the Vod package, but I may have to go back to EE as it is so bad and I use the airport frequently..  :Sad_face:

Any ideas if this is temporary (going on for 6 months now) or simply lack of bandwidth/EU travelers roaming/network blocking?

The Stansted official wifi (run by Virgin) is hellish too as browsers won't allow connection and email servers simply block everything...

Thanks if anyone has any insights as it's a massive pain!

65 REPLIES 65

Thanks Alex.

I do hope something comes of this, in such a prominent location. EE manage it, so I'm sure Vodafone can keep up :Winking_smiley:

Please do keep us informed.

Thanks for this update. As a regular user of Stansted I've also noticed an issue over the last 6 months. It is really frustrating and as my vodafone contract is due to expire next month I think I will most likely be moving to a provider who can offer a signal at Stansted. 

... I again also used Stansted on Tuesday, and managed a speed test of only 0.3 mbps (max)..

Screenshot_2018-09-25-11-46-06.jpg

Interestingly, I chatted with a member of staff who told me that the airport admin itself used O2 as their 'in house' network... So a clue there  :Winking_smiley:

It's a shame, as thus far, I've been very happy on Vodafone, but once my contract expires in 6 months, I too shall be considering my options. Unless, of course, things change for the better. Even 2-5mbps would do me, if it worked. :Fingers_Crossed:

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@dougforbes @Rye1 - Thanks for sending the example! We don’t want to lose any of you as customers. Our Network Engineers are working hard to get this resolved. I’m sorry for any inconvenience it’s causing.

I’m at Stansted now, I can confirm all the observations above. 

Phone seems to have a good signal, the data performance is pathetic. 

I had the same issue in May. Clearly, it has not been fixed. 

Can only assume that that there is massive over-utilisation. 

If you need a network that actually works at Stansted, best avoid Vodafone!

@be11aml

I was going to be there on Tuesday coming in the hope of some sort of improvement, but you've beaten me to it.

Come on Vodafone, this is poor. And I own shares in you too!

I travel through Stanstead to London and back to Edinburgh every week and confirm these issues are constant and very frustrating.

one mildly useful ‘hack’ I’ve found is to turn off 4g as 3G seems to work better although ‘better’ in this instance still  isn’t good. 

The virgin powered WiFi service has been improved after some complaints and I find myself using that and forced 3G or edge for voice calls which makes my 40gb roaming data a bit pointless!

a timescale or update of engineering activity would go a long way to mainting my patience as for me changing my consultancies 30 lines from Vodafone based solely on the lack of service at this airport is going to be a pain and admin task I’d rather avoid.

Here’s hoping!

@IanDaniels

Thanks for the 'hack' suggestion - I'll give it a go next week, but I'd rather not have to jump through so many hoops. Like I suggested in an earlier post, I feel there are also some safety issues at stake here. Imagine an 'icident' and you needed to make emmergency calls etc.. As it stands, I find it as good as impossible to use data or receive calls. If O2 can do it, why not a 'serious' communications provider like Vodafone.

I left Three even well before my contract expired as for EU travellers, their service is a bit of a 'toy' whilst abroad, however at Stansted at least I could get a great 4G signal at the main gates (40-58), though not anywhere in the terminal. With Vodafone though, there is nada, nish, nichts.

Shame, I was genuinely in high hopes when I signed up, and especially disappointed as I acutally 'tested' Vod last year at Stansted during my one month 'trial' - only to find nothing worked as soon as I continued the contract :Thumbs_Down:

It continues to be totally rubbish for data at stansted... last miserable experience yesterday.  My phone works fine everywhere else.  I actually get a bit of data when I get on the plane....

you may see things working ok in terms of your transmitters.... but perhaps something is interfering or causing a very dark shadow there...?

Blair
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Sorry you're having some signal issues @Mintpenguin.

Do you pass through this airport on a regular basis?  Perhaps you could help us by using the Network Guarantee feature of our My Vodafone app to feed back on the issue. You can get the app app here:  http://vdfn.co/eq9a8

Blair