Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

UK I.P While Roaming

Jambo1872
4: Newbie

Can anybody who is wise to the subject of network/traffic management and routing advise me on this.

Whenever you are roaming you get your usual UK/London IP address and location. I assume this is basically adding an additional "hop" for the data packets and therefore will slightly decrease performance and ping.

For example if I am in the USA, roaming on AT&T the data packets will need to travel through AT&T, then through Vodafones servers in the UK before breaking out onto the internet?

Assuming this is the case, then I'd imagine the most noticeable performance issue will be something like gaming or streaming live video?

2 REPLIES 2

chistery
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

It may make performance slightly worse, but it's normal for roaming data to be routed back to your home network. How would UK networks run their packet inspection for filtering and billing if the roaming network allowed local breakout?  If you want better performance, use local wifi.

Im simply curious as to how it works. I always use wifi where available, unless its noticeably poorer than the mobile network.