Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

USA no reception

carolgo
1: Seeker

Hi I replaced my sim card on Wednesday and kept my number .

on Friday I flew to USA and my phone worked until Saturday afternoon. I now have no reception and cannot use my phone for calls or texts. I am able to use it for emails with a wifi connection.

is the reason I am getting no connection because I use vodaphone world traveller in USA and this was previously on my old SIM card. Do you need to update world traveller with my new SIM card.

3 REPLIES 3

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi,

A SIM swap moves your number and Tariff over from one sim to another leaving the Account untouched 

That said It is worth checking if any roaming bar is in place in your online myvodafone. 

Try turning the phone off , eject the SIM card, wipe it with a soft cloth, reinsert and turn the phone back on. 

It could also be the network your latched to in the states. Can you try manually choosing another network. 

Can you try your sim card in another phone ?

If your phones unlocked to all Networks you could try a local SIM card. 

It's worth saying that as your abroad trying to roam Vodafone U.K. cannot guarantee connection and service 

Have you used that model of phone in the states before ?

Which model is it ? I ask as not all phone models hold the needed frequencies and bands to support the network.

Its certainly a conundrum if your phone worked for a short while in the USA if I've read your post in the right way. 

You could try speaking with Customer services via Live Chat or via the abroad numbers to check your account. 

"You can contact our advisers Monday to Sunday from 8am to 9pm.

From your Vodafone mobile

191 in the UK
+44 7836 191 191 from abroad
Calls are free for Pay monthly and Pay as you go customers

From other UK landlines or mobiles

03333 040 191 in the UK
(standard call charges apply)
+44 7836 191 191 from abroad
(standard international call charges apply)"

Vodafone and travelling-abroad Link.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

jeffkinn

@carolgo wrote:

Hi I replaced my sim card on Wednesday and kept my number .

on Friday I flew to USA and my phone worked until Saturday afternoon. I now have no reception and cannot use my phone for calls or texts. I am able to use it for emails with a wifi connection.

is the reason I am getting no connection because I use vodaphone world traveller in USA and this was previously on my old SIM card. Do you need to update world traveller with my new SIM card.

World Traveller is linked to an account not a sim card. I've just returned from the US where I had a perfect 4G signal form A&T. When you arrived did you get a text welcoming you to World Traveller? If not then you've probably been blocked as you've reached the monthly spend limit and a cap is automativally in place to prevent bill shock. The two texts looks like this:

Welcome to THE USA. Because you've chosen Vodafone WorldTraveller, you will only pay £5 a day when you use calls, texts and data from your UK plan. You only pay the £5 charge on the days you use your phone. For terms and info see: http://m.vodafone.co.uk/ga1 or call +441635691700. For emergency services call 112. Enjoy your trip.

From Vodafone: It costs £3/MB for the first 5MB then £15/5MB after that in our Rest of World Zone and you're currently opted in to the £39.33 monthly data spend cap. To opt out, text UNCAP to 40209.

What did Vodafone tell you by text when you arrived?

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

@carolgo

Did you move to a different part of the US at the point when your connection stopped working?

The US networks are upgrading their systems and masts, and the frequencies being used are changing. A few years ago, a European "tri-band" phone worked fine throughout the US, but increasingly you need a quad-band phone to get a connection in some areas.

I've experienced this with trying to keep in touch with my husband while we're both in the US, as he spends a while in conferences, and I'm out and about exploring. I have a 4-band phone, his is 3-band. We were doing fine in North Carolina until I was supposed to collect him from a conference dinner in a remote location, and he discovered when he tried to summon me that he had no signal, although the other attendees seemed to be doing fine. Someone helped him out, but we realised he needed a 4-band phone before a further trip to the States.