main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Network queries

USB printer connected to router 'Unable to connect to ‘http://..'’ error Mac OS

2: Seeker

Been trying to connect my (non-wireless) Canon MG2550s printer to the network via the Router USB port on the side. Using Mac OS. Keep getting an error every time I try to add the printer. It does show up under the Sharing tab in the Router web page and Printer sharing is 'on'. Is there a specific port setting? What address should I add under the IP tab when adding the printer? And does this router work with the Mac OS at all when it comes to printer sharing? It does let me set up the printer anyway, but then tells me it's offline when try to print. Thanks.

View more options
3 REPLIES 3

Hi @quicksilver, sorry about the delay getting back to you. You can always try the following:

1. Type 192.168.1.1 into your browser.
  2. This will bring up the Graphical User Interface (GUI) where you can login into the router.
  3. It will ask you for a password and the default password is vodafone all in lower case.
  4. Once logged in you’ll see a drop down bar that says Basic Mode, change it to Expert Mode.
  5. In the red bar below this there is 6 headings, Overview, Internet, Wi-Fi, Sharing , Settings and Status & Support. Please click on Sharing.
  6. Once in here, check and see if your printer shows under the sub-heading – Printers. Make sure the Share all slider is green and not grey and press Save.
  7. For this next part you’ll need to look at your manufacturers booklet/instructions. You’ll need to find which ports they recommend to open for your printer.
  8. Click on the Internet heading this time, then select the sub-heading Port Mapping on the left hand side.
  9. Here you can add the information you got from your printer manufacturers booklet and this should open up access to the printer. Wired or Wireless.

Hopefully this helps you out, let me know how you get on.

View more options
2: Seeker

Thank you for getting back to me. No problem about the delay. Yes, it's just the port mapping issue. Canon do not state those details in their instructions (or anywhere on the internet as far as I can see) so I have raised a ticket with their support now. Thanks for your help.

View more options

You're welcome @quicksilver. I'm pleased to hear a ticket has been raised with their support team directly, I hope you manage to get things sorted. If you need any further help in the meantime, please don't hesitate to get back in touch 🙂

View more options