Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Using alternative networks when roaming

gdc
1: Seeker

I have an unlocked iPhone 5s with a Vodafone UK monthly contract SIM that includes 5GB of UK data and 2GB of EU roaming data.

My phone's carrier settings are set to automatic.

I am currently in Germany and my phone automatically uses the German Vodafone network

In Germany the location where I spend most of my time working has a very poor data signal on Vodafone. Typically Edge.

In the same area two of the other local networks (Telekom and O2) have much stronger signals and faster data, typically 4G.

When I manually select one of these other networks networks instead I can pick up a signal and can make/receive phone calls, but get no data, presumably because the mobile data settings on my phone are configured for Vodafone.

Is it possible to use data on one of these other networks by changing these settings?

Thanks in advance.

4 REPLIES 4

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @gdc

You are able to roam on any network where you are able to get a connection.  All networks are charged the same.

The internet settings remain the same, settings are not changed when you are roaming on an overseas network. If you are getting a connection, there is no reason for being unable to use data.

BandOfBrothers

This may or may not help but have you tried toggling On or Off the Eu Internet settings in the iPhone. 

I've read adjusting this setting can sometimes help. 

Try turning your phone Off and On too. 

Unfortunately understandably as Vodafone Uk have no control over a foreign network signal and data connection cannot be guaranteed. 

If the iPhone is unlocked to all Networks and data is required with no wifi access you could use a local SIM card to see if that is better. Obviously you wouldn't be then enjoying your roaming data  allowance. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Roaming agreements. Vodafone UK may not have a roaming agreement that permits data use on Telekom or O2 in Germany

BandOfBrothers

The site I look at shows......

IMG_0902.JPG

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.