main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Network queries

Using phone that doesn't support all 4G bands

Highlighted
3: Seeker

I am looking to use an imported Chinese Honor V20 with my Voxi plan, however it only supports 2 out of the 4 4G LTE frequencies used by Vodafone (it supports bands 1 and 3 but not bands 7 and 20). So I was wondering what effect this would have on my 4G coverage - would it cause huge problems and prevent me from accessing it in certain areas, or would it not really cause an issue?

It does support all the bands used for 2G/3G so there are no issues there.

I am thinking it might cause a problem receiving 4G in more rural areas as it doesn't support the shorter wavelength band 20, but this is me just taking an educated guess. I've been trying to find an answer to this for a while but can't, so any help is much appreciated!

Edit: just realised I hadn't made it clear I haven't purchased the phone yet, so I can't test it and see. A drawback with buying phones from China is that the return policy/warranty is nowhere near as kind to buyers as it is here, so I don't want to buy it unless I'm 100% sure it will work.

View more options
3 REPLIES 3
17: Community Champion

These are the bands Vodafone uses @elite_popadom 

Screenshot_20181118-091144_Samsung Internet.jpg

Personally I wouldn't import such a phone as it could struggle and Vodafone won't be able to offer any support in the way of advising if it will / won't work and if it would work with all the services provided by Vodafone UK.

If your going to proceed then I would also check any returns / refund options in case you wish to return it if it does not work.

I have seen instances where on paper the phone should work and then it does not but to add balance I have seen instances where all is fine. 

However you proceed I wish you all the best.

Current Phone > Samsung Note 9 _512Gb > Model: SM-N960 Hybrid-Duos.

Samsung One Ui  / Pie.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

View more options
3: Seeker

Thanks for the response and sorry for not getting back sooner. Is there any way that I can find out which bands are used in which areas by Vodafone so I can see which locations I will/won't have 4g coverage so I can decide based off of that?

View more options
16: Advanced member

LTE Band 1 - 2100MHz is deployed extensively in most cities and many towns now. 

Cellmapper shows the areas quite well (select Vodafone UK and then LTE and Band 1)

View more options