main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Network queries

Very Slow 4g

2: Seeker

Moved 5 accounts away from Vodafone a few years ago, but decided to try a new one, so bought new iPhone 12 with Max plan having been assured that 4g speeds would be good and 5g coming soon.

4g in the middle of a large town is truly dreadful.... less than 1Mbps a lot of the time.

Troubleshooting so far:

Checked signal area, it says good.

Told to reset phone and network settings, didn’t work.

Was asked to switch the sim to new device, didn’t work any better in the other device.

Was asked to try another sim in the phone.... an old Three sim in an iPad was put in the phone and instantly got 50Mbps.

Told it was a sim problem, so switched to the phones eSim, didn’t work.

Any magic solutions anyone? I’m seriously unimpressed and wish I’d stayed with 3.

View more options
5 REPLIES 5
17: Community Champion

Is this happening in one area or everywhere @NeilT123  ?

Vodafone have a troubleshooting thread which some of you've tried already, with an included template that can be used to copy and paste back in your thread along with the answers so the Vodafone Social Media Team's can pass this back to their networking teams to look at.

It's Network-issues-initial-checks-and-template. 

This could be mast congestion if it's happening in one area which does not show on the Vodafone status-checker or a surrounding mast us having issues and Vodafone are possibly re routing network traffic which has the potential to slow things down a tad.

Mast congestion usually clears up by itself.

The Vodafone Status Checker is for indication only and is not a guarantee of speeds and connection unfortunately. 

5G is good at the moment for large file downloads but does not as I understand things at the moment improve surfing speeds.

I wish you all the best with this. 

Current Phone > Samsung Note 20 Ultra 5G - SM9860 Snapdragon.

Samsung One Ui 2.5  / Android 10.

View more options

1) Does the issue happen in just one location? If so, how far do you have to travel to regain service?

Happens at home postcode.
4G performance much better approx 2 miles to west.

2) What is the full postcode (e.g. ST1 1AA) of where the issue occurs? If you don't want this showing on the Community, add it to your profile here.

OX28 6GH and OX28 6GJ

note - A three sim is downloading at up to 50Mbps in these same locations.

3) Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone?

Yes

4) What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs?

Max download speed is often around 1Mbps.
2 miles to west it is 20Mbps. 

5) Does this happen on 2G, 3G, 4G or all?

4G

6) When did you first notice this issue?

At start of contract on 14th Nov 20

7) Is the issue permanent or intermittent? If intermittent, are there certain times of the day when it occurs?

Permanent, but worse in evening

View more options

Thanks for confirming this @NeilT123, I've taken a closer look into this. We offer a strong 4g service in your area, the mast serving you (12426) is working as expected and has experienced no recent outages. I can see you've only listed 4g on the services you're experiencing difficulty with. Does you speed increase if you switch your phone to 2/3g, does your speed increase? 

View more options

Hi Mark, thanks for your help. There’s no option to select 3G on an iPhone 12.  It will receive 3G when there’s no 4G signal, but I just can’t force the phone to do it. 
This evening download speed is 0.5 Mbps on 4G whilst it is 35 Mbps on my 3 sim! I only mention this because it’s clearly not a location issue unless the 3 mast is in a different place?

View more options

Also, you say there has been no recent work on this mast. That is in complete conflict with what one of you chat agents told me last week. Said she could see ongoing maintenance that should be fixed with in 10 days. Then told me 5G would be available here soon.

I’m afraid I got the impression they were saying anything at all to get me off the line!

I trust you can see how my return to Vodafone hasn’t gone well thus far.

View more options