Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

W1 - Central London

dj_si
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

1) Does the issue happen in just one location? If so, how far do you have to travel to regain service?

Since early July, EVERYWHERE I go in central London, and REGARDLESS of which 4G smartphone or Vodafone SIM/number I'm using, the signal strength is never high for more than around 60 seconds, always reconnecting to a 4G mast with a lower signal, resulting in slower data speeds. So it must be a network problem - even Vodafone shop staff/managers agree it must be a network problem. I've spoken on NUMEROUS occasions in the last 3 months with Customer Service, including the technical teams in India and Egypt who've said they will raise cases with the Network Team to investigate, but after that I never hear anything more - despite their promises, no-one ever calls back with updates. I can only assume there are serious problems with the MIMO/CA rollout, specifically faulty s/w algorithms for governing mast/cell selection. What is being done to fix this??

2) What is the full postcode (e.g. ST1 1AA) of where the issue occurs? If you don't want this showing on the Community, add it to your profile here.

This problem has been apparent in many central London locations, e.g: N1 9AG, W1C 2JS, W1C 1DX, SW7 2BE, W1U 5BQ, W2 4BA, W8 7RG

3) Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone?

Yes, this occurs with both my usual SIM and also a PAYG Vodafone SIM that I purchased just to check whether the problem affected only my account, and also still occurs with both SIMs when using a different phone (by a different manufacturer).

4) What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs?

After switching the phone on (or if I force a reconnection by enabling flight mode for a while and then exiting flight mode), a 4G connection is established with a strong signal, as confirmed by the usual signal icon AND several network signal info apps (ALL of which show the same details). But within around 60 seconds (max. 2 minutes) the signal strength drops very low (see attached images), and each of the apps confirms connection to another 4G mast (and the apps with map details show the mast as more distant than the first). For as long as I stay in the same location, the connection never switches back to the first mast with the stronger signal. Speed tests also confirm that the 4G data speed is significantly slower after reconnection to the 4G mast with the lower signal.

Prior to this problem arising in early July the signal strength was typically -80dBm or better all the time in all locations, but for more than 3 months it has been consistently at -100dBm or worse. It is consequently infuriating that Vodafone's advertising makes claims such as "best indoor reception" - it used to be great, but not any more!

5) Does this happen on 2G, 3G, 4G or all?

4G only.

6) When did you first notice this issue?

Early July.

7) Is the issue permanent or intermittent? If intermittent, are there certain times of the day when it occurs?

All the time, every day since early July.

0 REPLIES 0