main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Network queries

W2 - Paddington

2: Seeker

1) Does the issue happen in just one location? If so, how far do you have to travel to regain service?

It happens when you are in the station terminal. Once the train departs the signal is absolutely fine. 

2) What is the full postcode (e.g. ST1 1AA) of where the issue occurs? If you don't want this showing on the eForum, add it to your profile here.

W2 1FT

3) Does the issue occur if you try your SIM card in a different phone?

I haven't been able to try

4) What errors are seen or heard when the issue occurs?

The phone is showing a reasonable 4G signal but there is just no connectivity. 

5) Does this happen on 2G, 3G, 4G or all?

4G 

6) When did you first notice this issue?

It's been going on for many months - possibly years.

7) Is the issue permanent or intermittent? If intermittent, are there certain times of the day when it occurs?

I travel through the station daily. I notice it especially at 5pm - presumably when the station is busiest. I notice it a little upon arrival around 9am, but much more so in the evening. At 5-6pm there is literally no connectivity until the train departs. 

View more options
16 REPLIES
17: Community Champion

Hi,

I appreciate you say the issue appears to have been present for a while. 

However on checking that postcode in > Vodafone Network Checker.

I see.....

"We're trying to fix a network issue which might be affecting calls coverage. It’s now being investigated. We'll update this page as soon as we know more." 

As this is also appearing to be happening at 5pm ie Rush hour this could also be a case of Mast Congestion which is when lots of people are accessing the mast(s) at approximately the same time. 

IMG_1084.JPG

View more options

I suspect it could well be mast congestion..which seems fairly inadequate, given this is a mainline rail terminus in the capital! I don't think you are suggesting it is reasonable to not have internet access at rush hour? 

This is not a recent issue. I've been travelling through Paddington daily for over 2 years and I can't remember a time when it has worked especially well/at all between 5-6pm. I usually switch to my EE dongle until I leave the station. 

I'm only reporting it now because Vodafone help encouraged me to.. 

View more options
17: Community Champion

Mast congestion, not spots and fringe coverage are all aspects of all the Networks we have to consider when joining. 

I'm not saying as a fellow customer thst it's always reasonable to have to endure the above conditions of connectivity, but it's something that has been present for as long as I can remember. 

As I pointed out there are known mast issues for that postcode. 

I also appreciate you say this has been ongoing for a while.

A person can Register for Updates within the Network Checker link. 

I'm sure the Vodafone Tech Team will feedback the information from your templated answers.

IMG_1084.JPG

View more options

@tombetts I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch.

We'll investigate further once you've got in touch. 

View more options

Thanks Rahim. I have sent you the info that you requested and look forward to your diagnosis. 

View more options

@tombetts I've checked our inbox, however couldn't see any emails from yourself via the registered email address within your profile. 

Please can you complete the form using a different web browser, ensuring that you clear your cache and cookies. 

If you don't receive an automated response to confirm that we've received your email, please try submitting the form using a different email address.

View more options

Hi

I re-submitted and received an acknowledgement - 

Thank you for your email, we'll be in touch

So hopefully that all worked ok this time. 

Thx

tom

View more options
Moderator (Retired)

@tombetts We've replied to your email. Please check your inbox for our latest response.

Thanks,

Tom

View more options

Thanks. Should I read into your response that you do not intend to take any action to resolve the problem? 

Thanks

Tom

View more options
Moderator (Retired)

@tombetts If you aren't happy with our response, please get back to us via email so we can investigate this further.

View more options

I have experienced exactly the same problem, also for years but it would appear to be getting worse in recent weeks. I get to the station and cannot refresh any of my apps. 

Device shows a good 4G connection but absolutely no data use works. 

I have found that if I force my device onto the 3G network I can actually get data to work. 

This issue is hugely frustrating as it means I cannot access the online train time apps when close to or in Paddington station - a time when I would really like to get these to work - I got on the wrong train last night as the app was not able to tell me that there was a platform change for my train - luckily I realised before the train left!

With the Vodafone Group office located just around the corner, I'd expect this to work

View more options

@sdriscoll We'd like to investigate this further. 

Please get in touch with our team using the details from the private message I've sent. 

View more options
Hi guys,

I would also like to add, that I share the same problem whilst I'm in Paddington station.

Just some more information, I've had this on 2 different phones and also on 2 different SIM cards. The problem affected both devices.

Not sure if this helps, but I have the same frustration as mentioned above.

Cheers,

Josh
View more options

@Joshbonis We're aware of an issue with serving site (80377).

You can subscribe to our network status checker for updates.

View more options
1: Seeker
I am having the same problem as the above. It shows full 4G but no data is available. Calls can be made and taken but can take a couple of goes.

It is the same on my wife's phone and another friend who uses Paddington station. It had been part of me missing a couple of trains in the past.

I believe EE works ok so that is the option I am going to test. Shame as with the office nearby you would think it should work out at least get more masts or boosters.

I've experienced the problem between 3.30pm and 8pm. It had never worked at it should.

Hopefully it can be fixed for the rest if you. The issue noted from tech above from over a month ago has not been sorted. Shame

View more options

Yep - still exactly the same for me. 

Luckily my contract is finally up for renewal. I won't fall for the retention sales pitch this time that the coverage will improve..! 

View more options