cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

When will Vodafone support SMS over Wifi Calling?

m1kegibson
4: Newbie

When will Vodafone come out of the dark ages and finally implement SMS over wifi calling?

Given Wifi Calling spec (voWIFI/GAN/UMA) incorporates SMS (and MMS) support, why is Vodafone's implementation limited to voice calls only - did they buy cheap kit off the back of a lorry perhaps?

120 REPLIES 120

This is why I have given instructions to my board of directors to cancel all Vodafone accounts forthwith. I am genuinely sick of being misled and lied to. So by June next year all our accounts will be with EE. Including all mobile dongles with 50 gig limits not just phones across three companies. And when They call me I will simply request my companies are removed from their databases.

Vodafone wrote to me today saying "We're currently phasing out all Vodafone Sure Signals from our network and will deactivate yours in February" (and comically, "We will also send a text message to your mobile devices registered on the Sure Signal before we cease the Sure Signal Service" - a thoughtful touch.)  Given the SMS issue, it seems to me that Vodafone will have no option but to refund Sure Signals and waiver contract termination charges for anybody who needs to move as a result.

Money Claim Online is very effective for things like this - Vodafone would never fight a case.

chistery
16: Advanced member

Time to upgrade to iOS 14.3 maybe? 😀

Might be pleasantly surprised!

simax
14: Advanced member

Can confirm SMS over WiFi Calling is now operational.

Well now. I switched off my Sure Signal and put my phone on Wi-Fi calling. I tried several times to send SMS over Wi-Fi. If this is operational now, why doesn't it work? There is nothing on the Vodafone site to 'coming shortly' to say it is operational. Has anyone got it to work?

chistery

Works for me on my iPhone running 14.3

What device have you got?

I'm on a Samsung S10 and I suspect there will need to be a software update soon. I'm glad that your iPhone works as my final effort in February, if it is not working, will have to be a new iPhone. That's a bit drastic but at least you have let me know it works on your phone. Once you switched to Wi-Fi calling is it just automatic for SMS. Also does it do picture messages too? Thanks for replying.

chistery

Yes, it's iPhone only for now, but hopefully Android will be updated soon, but expect no updates from Vodafone on it. It's automatic, you don't need to do anything just upgrade to iOS 14.3.

I have no idea why people still send MMS and pay for them, so can't verify that.

I agree about MMS. But SMS is so vital for banks and medical centre messages. If you hear any Android gossip do post.

simax

Yes it just works.

MMS should be supported also.