main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle
Announcements
Keeping the UK connected is our main priority. Find out how we're doing thishere.
Close announcement

Network queries

WiFi Calling. When and why does it switch between 4G and WiFi

SOLVED
View solved solution
Highlighted
2: Seeker

I have good coverage of 4G in my flat.

A week ago I got a new WiFi router which gives good 5G and 2.4G WiFi in my flat.

Previously I had only 2.4G WiFi (no 5G WiFi)

Now I notice that my iPhone XS nearly always says Vodafone WiFiCall when at home rather than simply Vodafone 4G, which it always used to say with my old WiFi.

I am curious what might be different now with either my new WiFI or has the 4G changed, as my iPhone now seems to ‘prefer’ WiFiCall at home?

Does WiFiCall prefer 5G WiFi over 2.4G WiFi?

How weak or strong does WiFi/4G need to be to invoke iPhone to switch from one to the other? What if both are equally as good which is preferred?

View more options
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

@JackRussell Wi-Fi strength will always generally be better than 4G speeds. So with most phones, if you're in range of Wi-Fi faster than your 4G it'll use that instead for Wi-Fi Calling. It may be that the previous router wasn't up to the same speed as your 4G if there was something wrong with it? 

View solution in original position

View more options
1 REPLY 1
Highlighted

@JackRussell Wi-Fi strength will always generally be better than 4G speeds. So with most phones, if you're in range of Wi-Fi faster than your 4G it'll use that instead for Wi-Fi Calling. It may be that the previous router wasn't up to the same speed as your 4G if there was something wrong with it? 

View solution in original position

View more options