Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Android Wear

Nabs
17: Community Champion

Anyone here have any Android Wear devices?

I've just acquired an LG Urbane smartwatch, loving it so far, wondered if anyone else had tried anything similar?

49 REPLIES 49

drey_p
16: Advanced member
Perhaps we should try and keep this on topic. If you want to continue the discussion on whether glancing at a watch could cause an accident, I am happy to create another head and move the posts over to it.

As for wearable tech, I am not sure on it. Perhaps because I've not tried it or played with it, but I really don't see the point of it. I want a watch to tell the time, if I want to read a text I pull out my phone. I just don't get how it fits in....at least how it fits into my life. I'd be interested to here why, those of you who have them, actually wanted to get wearable tech.

PWIAC

63johnw
@drey_p I simply got mine because I wanted to give it a try, I liked the look of the Zenwatch so I chose it on looks ! I like new tech and gadgets so thought I would treat myself to a new toy.

Is it essential? No.

Will it take off? I think it will eventually but I think there will be a few changes before the majority of people take it up, I don't think wearables will be adopted very widely in the current forms.

drey_p
Nothing wrong with choosing tech on looks, I've done the same LOL.

I love tech and gadgets to but for some reason wearable tech doesn't do anything for me. Dunno why. Perhaps it's because I have quite a nice watch that keeps itself updated time wise and charges on light.

What sort of changes do you think would get more people buying it?

PWIAC

Nabs

@63johnw none that I've tried. The one that keeps coming up in searched is Minuum (http://minuum.com/typing-on-android-wear/) not taken the dive yet though, there is a cost involved which I'm not sure about taking just yet. Still plenty to explore before I start buying more.

@froggerty I travel roads much the same as you describe on a daily basis, I've seen many incidents and and lost close friends in collisions. I don't disagree that you should be focussed on the road 100% of time. To be honest this is a discussion better suited for an Android Auto thread, it's getting off topic a bit now.

@drey_p my reasons are much the flame as Johns, I wanted to try it, thought the Urbane looked good, getting it at a great price helped 😉

63johnw
Not sure really ?? Some sort of killer new feature, when touch screen phones first came out lots of people didn't think they would catch on. I thinks something will come along to grab peoples attention, if I knew what I would be trying to get it started on Dragons Den !

I too have a sift spot for watches, Mrs W can't understand why I need more than 2 (one for work and one for going out),

drey_p
Perhaps I am trying to get that idea so I can go on Dragons Den myself.... Lol

Do you think wearable tech would be better if you could simply wear it without the need to have a phone with you? So you number is in the device and it doesn't matter whether you pick up your phone or watch, up can still get all your messages calls etc?

Yeah, I have a weak spot for watches to and have quite a few now...

PWIAC

Nabs

@drey_p wrote:
Do you think wearable tech would be better if you could simply wear it without the need to have a phone with you? So you number is in the device and it doesn't matter whether you pick up your phone or watch, up can still get all your messages calls etc?..

@63johnw@drey_pYou mean like the Gear S? :smileywink: Problem there is that they are not using Android wear (having chose Tizen) so you don't have the app support.

@GojuSuzi I considered the 360 when they first announced it but when it came down to buying the looks of the urbane won me over. I hadn't even considered the fitness side of things though! I've used a fitbit for that, I guess I can take it off an use the Urbane. Do you use the Google Fit or is there another app you use with your 360?

EDIT: @GojuSuzi i'd be very interested to know how you're using Spotify with it as well, is there another app I need to install?

drey_p

@Nabs wrote:

@63johnw@drey_pYou mean like the Gear S? :smileywink: Problem there is that they are not using Android wear (having chose Tizen) so you don't have the app support

I didn't realise the Gear S could do that.  Don't you have to have 2 SIM cards to use it though?  Won't that mean you have to have 2 different numbers?

I have to agree with TSD - that is a good looking watch Nabs.

@63johnw - how about some pics of yours?

PWIAC

63johnw

IMG_20150718_223859.JPG

drey_p

Cool watch 63johnw!

PWIAC