main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal

Off topic

Carrier IQ

SOLVED
View solved solution
16: Advanced member

Has Vodafone UK got any connection with Carrier IQ or have there phones ???

As in the states a Software developer Exposed a security risk with HTC phones also found a similar whole, were Carrier IQ was on the devices and use to transmit data about what customers are doing 

The company tried to put a Gagging order on the Developer but failed 

Carrier IQ http://www.carrieriq.com/index.htm has now been exposed and one of the networks so called secrets 

But also shows as to what lows Networks stoop to 

Now I hope we do not have this company operating in the UK as it would breach the Data protection act, and Business will not be happy, as this would be a breach of security 

I no Vodafone Portugal have  

View more options
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Manager (Retired)

Morning, official answer:

We can confirm that Vodafone UK doesn't add or use Carrier IQ software on our customers' handsets.

Thanks,

Tom

View solution in original position

View more options
12 REPLIES 12
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Northern-dj,

As far as I’m aware we don’t have any dealings with them however to help set your mind at ease I will try and get full confirmation for you.

James 

View more options
4: Newbie

Of all the UK networks I would least suspect Vodafone of having any affiliations with this company/service.

Best waiting for an official confirmation from James though.

View more options

Cheers james i shall wait but hopfully not to long 

View more options
Hi NDJ,

I've looked into this and the answer seems to be a no. Take it as that for now, and if I find anything else out I'll update the thread, but I doubt I will.

There's nothing anywhere to suggest that we ever have.

Thanks,

Tom
View more options
2: Seeker
"There's nothing anywhere to suggest that we ever have."

Seems a bit of a weak response. Given the severity this I really expect a formal statement from Vodafone categorically stating that they do not use Carrier IQ or any equivalent application.

Vodafone Portugal are public about using it so it's not unreasonalbe to suspect that Vodafone UK might use it.
http://www.carrieriq.com/company/PR.CarrierIQandVodafonePortugal.20090730.pdf
View more options

It has opened alot of peoples eys as to what is going on with out us Knowing

And as they tried to Gag the developer from saying anything

This does affect the USA more then us but as we do not see what is transmitted on our bills we do not Know

Thanks Tom for the info, But on XDA they are checking every firmware as they know what to look for so lets hope its not on UK Firmware.

Thanks for checking again Tom  

View more options
Highlighted

Morning, official answer:

We can confirm that Vodafone UK doesn't add or use Carrier IQ software on our customers' handsets.

Thanks,

Tom

View solution in original position

View more options
4: Newbie

Good to know that Voda UK have never used this service. I've read something of what's going on but, I have to admit, I'm not that knowledgeable about it. Suffice to say what I did read worried me somewhat and now my worries have been eased. :smileyhappy:

View more options

Well for all that want a bit more info 

CNETs Android Atlas Video Blog talk about what is going on

http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-19736_7-57334056-251/android-atlas-weekly-75-spies-conspiracies-and-and...

Now i also have got the same answer as Tom From Samsung  and it is not on Any Samsung Firmware  that Vodafone have done.

But were checking the others which if they have it could be intresting

Now on the Android Atlas they mention its on stock firmware, Only in the U.S it is  behind a Partition But on the Samsung Galaxy range that is easy to wipe

Other Android devices are a bit more of a challange

But a BigAddEmoticons04230.gif To Vodafone on this 

And cheers Tom for Looking in to this, Other Networks have not yet Comented 

View more options
17: Community Champion

Well done N-dj for asking such a great question!

Also, well done to Vodafone, (Tom) for being so quick and clear with the response.

This is the eForum operating at it's best... Nice!

Thumbs up smiley.gif

View more options
2: Seeker
If i have a UK contract, and roam to Portugal, are you breaching my contract assuming VF Portugal is using CarrierIQ
View more options
17: Community Champion

@jimbob2 wrote:
If i have a UK contract, and roam to Portugal, are you breaching my contract assuming VF Portugal is using CarrierIQ

As far as i am aware you would need to have CarrierIQ software installed on your phone. Vodafone UK do not do this so assumeing your using a Vodafone UK branded handset you will be ok

View more options