donnyguy
16: Advanced member
16: Advanced member

That's a brilliant outcome, well done Vodafone :smileyvery-happy:

11 REPLIES 11

Smr162
2: Seeker

Absolutely! I'm really happy with this and it proves that they do actually care, even if sometimes it doesn't feel that way :Smiling: 

Alex
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Smr162 I'm glad to see you were able to come to a resolution you're happy with. 😊

I wish you all the best for the wedding and your marriage. 

Well I’m just off the phone to a colleague begging to change my 63 pound a month plan as I have lost my job and need even a temporary reduction in contract. I also even asked if I could take out a new 24 month sim only contract as I only have 8 months left of contract and they simply said no. I asked if there is any leg room even to extend due payment an extra month and again simply a no. I also have a broadband package out with them and had two phones out as a loyal customer but nothing in return.  I got absolutely zero help from the man I had zero sympathy passed to me having been a customer for 6 or more years. I found it a complete shambles. The man made me feel pathetic begging him for help. 

Theyre quick to let you upgrade / change your plan to a high plan but have zero leg room if you are in a struggling scenario. Thank you very much Vodafone I will most certainly not be using you in October. 

hrym
17: Community Champion

It's an unfortunate fact that a contract is a contract.   I don't want to sound unsympathetic, but it was a mutual agreement entered into in good faith by both parties.   It's also a fact of modern life that a lot of services are provided in this way and a sudden change in financial circumstances can cause significant problems with outgoings that are beyond an individual's control.

So, what can be done practically?   Vodafone does not allow contract downgrades and, as far as I'm aware, no network does.   A lot of the mothly cost is the hire-purchase payment for the handset and that will have to be covered in any case.   An obvious solution would be to extend the contract period, allowing for lower payments over a long time.  Unfortunately, Ofcom limits how long mobile phone contracts can be, so that that's not a runner.

The only other way out would be to look at early termination, which will be a one-off payment of the remaining months, minus the VAT and with a 2% (I think) discount.   You can do a rough calculation yourself and customer servies can provide an exact figure.   You can look at at selling the associated handset to defray at least some of the cost.  The downside is that you'll lose your number and I don't think there's any way of combining the process with a transfer to PAYG.   However, it's also possible that PACing to another network (you'd be taking on a new contract, of course) would initiate the process and achieve both aims.

Assuming that loss of empolyment insurance isn't available (I haven't looked, but it sounds like an idea), you can really only protect yourself by buying your handset outright and sticking to 30 day SIM only contracts. That doesn't help in the immediate situation, of course.

I'm sorry not to be able to come up with more positive ideas.  However, if there's any room for flexibilty, the forum team will have a better idea of what can be done and may be able to talk to you directly.

AnnS

Hi @mowens1988

That is awful, try not to worry. 

By contacting Vodafone when you are struggling to pay your bill,  to make them aware of the problems, you have taken the correct route and the advisor should have listened.

There is no reason for Vodafone being unable to recommend an affordable payment plan to buy you some time.  However, any payment plan will always be reported against your credit file and will impact on your ability to get any further credit whilst the plan is in place.

If you try contacting Vodafone again, you may get a more sympathetic advisor but if you still have the problems, please come back to the forum and one of the Team will be able to get you in touch with the correct Team.

Please see the link below for further information.

How we can help if you’re having financial difficulties

JohnJ
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@mowens1988 I'm sorry to hear about the difficulty you're having paying your bill, we never like to hear that any customer is struggling financially and we'll always do what we can to help and advise you. 

We can offer a 3 month payment plan as well as 6 month payment plan to help any customer that is struggling.

Our Customer Care team should be able to sort this out for you via dialling 191. 

Alternatively, I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch.

Smr162

I've been with Vodafone for a long long time now, easily over 10 years and my bills have always been quite large, recently I've needed to find ways to cut down my spending, I'm getting married and I need to find extra money for my wedding not to mention my fiancée and I are going to be buying a new house. Anyway my point is I spoke to Vodafone today and trying to reduce my bill! - my last bill was 92 pounds but mainly because a mobile wifi device that I've barely ever used, I was told that if I want to cancel the device it's going to cost over 200 pounds, I was also told there is no way that I can reduce my bill ..... unless I wait until September which is my earliest upgrade point then I will be able to reduce some of my costs!!? 

Well im sorry but at this point I'm backed into a corner by Vodafone - I can't pay 230 pounds for this device I never use .... and if I then sign up in September simply to reduce my bill I haven't really upgraded because I wanted to - I also would have preferred to wait a few months to see what developments and options are out there!  But now I want to know what loyalty can Vodafone show their long term customers ? I know that I have spent thousands with Vodafone. I currently have a contract that has unlimited texts and calls around 6 gig of data and a poxy mobile wifi device with 15 gig that I don't use and my average bill is between £70- 90. The last time I checked I barely make any calls, I don't send many texts really as I mainly use data, and I work in a secure environment which means my phone is locked away - so I now only use my phone mostly when connected to the internet!! So

my question is what lengths are Vodafone prepare to go to so that they can help long term

customers so that they stay? At the moment I feel that Vodafone are really out of touch ! I would rather wait a few months and start fresh with a company that cares about their customers - especially the ones that have laid thousand of pounds into the company over the years ! 

BandOfBrothers

Hi @Smr162

Totally appreciate your situation- weddings are indeed expensive celebrations.

The hard truths are > I'm sure your aware that you've taken the informed decision to sign up to these contracts until they reach full term so accepted the long term expense that brings with it.

It's not Vodafones issue how your usage habits mean how you utilise the allowances you pay for. 

The fee to leave that commitment is called the Early Termination fee which is...

"The Early Termination Fee is the total amount of line rental outstanding for the remainder of the contract, without VAT, and less a 2% rebate.This figure will be calculated on the price prior to any discounts."

A person isn't allowed to reduce their tariff amount whilst in contract I'm afraid. 

When out of Contract a person can switch to Sim Only 30 day or 12 Month terms which can be cheaper than the full contract, and then switch back up If and when a phone model / Tariff becomes available they want. Or switch to Payg. 

Another option could be to pass a Contract onto someone else as long as they can pass a Credit Check. This is a process as detailed here > Can-I-transfer-my-number-and-contract-to-someone-else. Called Transfer of Ownership. 

Or a person you know and trust could use the contract in question and the bank account changed so it comes out of their bank account. Please note this option means your still ultimately responsible for the account and payments.  

I hope you find some resolution.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

I totally understand where your coming from, yes in entered into a contract and so fourth but I've been a Vodafone customer for over 10 years, I've never missed a payment and they've had a lot of money out of me, you would just think that perhaps as someone who's been with them a long time they might make an effort to help somehow, I've had a lot of issues with the company in the past,  and I think this is the point where I have decided that I will wait out the end of this contract and look for another provider that offers a better data deal, I've only sent 17 texts from n unlimited  allowance  this months and

I don't think I've made any phone calls - since I took the contract on times have really moved on ! That's partly my fault but im Not sure Vodafone have the best data deals anymore either ?