Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

MyMediaGames PayForIt scam 60138

richest_kidd
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Sorry if this has been posted before but I wanted to alert people to this.

End of August I received a text saying I had "subscribed" to MyMediaGams(sic) for £4.50/week and text STOP to 60138 to cancel. I figured it was scam and deleted without replying.

I noticed my bill in September was a bit higher but didn't think much of it and didn't check it.

Yessterday I got a text saying "Reminder: your are subscribed to MyMediaGams(sic) for £4.50/week and text STOP to 60138 to cancel. So I went on-line and guess what - a load of other people with this problem. I never subscribed to this. I have checked and my upcoming bill has been charged four times by these %$£%&!!

I have spoken to Vodaphone support and they will not refund me, as I "subscribed". However this seems to be a scan where the company txtNation somehow grabs your phone number from pop-ups on the internet then creates a "subscription". Then most people ignore the texts to STOP as they think that is the trap.

I have emailed this txtNation and lodged a complaint with the PSA Phone service. I just wanted to alert people to this on here as I have seen it around other phone companies - no of whom check the actual subscription is real nor offer refunds. My bad, I didn't check my current bill but I also did not subscribe anywhere to this - I work in IT and am pretty savvy about what I click and where.

Rich

2 REPLIES 2

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Thanks for the heads up @richest_kidd

An awful thing to happen which can result in pretty high subscription costs. 

You've done the right thing so far and as long as the company is reputable then contacting said company should result in a refund. 

Vodafone have reacted to a subscription set up that happens with the contract owners consent must of the time. 

I wish you all the best with this situation. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

muggles708
4: Newbie

Mymediagames is a 'Payforit' scam. These scams exploit the vulnerabilities of the 'Payforit' system to sign up consumers for services without their consent.

By all means report these scams to the regulator (The Phone-paid Services Authority), but don't expect them to solve the problem for you. They are a regulator and not an ombudsman, so do not resolve individual cases.

You need to approach the company which scammed you for a refund. If they refuse, don't waste time arguing, but follow the Small Claims procedure. So far not one case has been defended and the offending company has always settled, in full, out of court. Full information on https://payforitsucks.co.uk.