cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Samsung Unpacked Event 7th of August 2019.

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

So looking forward to this unpacked event.

Being a Note 9 owner I'm excited to see what the Note 10 brings to the table.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

25 REPLIES 25

Colleen
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@BandOfBrothers I think a lot of people will be looking forward to this! It's always exciting to see what the latest phones and devices will include 😆 Is there anything in particular you're hoping for? 

BandOfBrothers

Having a front placed fingerprint scanner will be nice but not essential.

Having perhaps 5G on the Note 10 Pro or whatever Samsung decide to call it would be solid future proofing.

Would I miss a headphone jack if Samsung decide to remove it.... for me No as i use bluetooth Headphones and truly wireless Samsung Galaxy Buds.

Has to be a Dual Hybrid model tho.

Current Phone  >

TJ
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

I like having the front finger print scanner on my S10 to be honest! Plus at the moment I'm glad they've decided not to remove the headphone jack as of yet, maybe I'm just old school! 

It'll be interesting to see what new stuff they come out with for the Note 10 - I'll be keeping an eye out! 

BandOfBrothers

Awaiting with bated breath.

Current Phone  >

@BandofBrothers

I have watched a couple of videos on YouTube from some of the very popular YouTubers such as Marques Brownlee and Unbox Therapy who have both got their hands on pre-retail Note 10's and the general consensus is get the Note 10 plus. It has a 1440p screen compared to the standard Note 10 which has 1080p, more RAM - up to 12gb and most importantly to you, only the Note 10 plus will support 5g.

Prices in America for the standard Note 10 is $900 and the Note 10 plus will be starting at $1100! As America's prices tend to be the same as what we pay but in pounds, I would start saving those pennies in your piggy bank!

BandOfBrothers

@ReedPR 

Thanks 

I watched the Samsung Unpacked Event this morning and it seems a good upgrade.

I'm.awaiting for the official specification sheets too.

Yes I watch those YouTube Tech reviewers along with Techzilla, Flossy Carter to name a few  :Winking_smiley:

You mention 5G which I'm really wanting to add future proofing to my purchase.

However this for me is the only disappointing aspect of buying the 5G variant which I would like as it's a good piece of future proofing.

The 5G model seems to be locked to a particular network even when buying sim free from Samsung !!

So.... What happens with the dual sim as I use two networks and like to swap around the networks i use too ?

From Samsungs Online Shop....

" 5G model only. Device locked to a participating network. 5G functionality requires compatible network connection. "

Current Phone  >

@BandofBrothers

I had to research it myself to see it in black & white in print before I even start to take on board Samsung are selling a sim free variant device whereby the main component of the phone just happens to be network locked? Just typing that out, this makes no sense whatsoever. You will pay a premium anyway for a sim free phone and then have to be forced to use a sim from a network you may not like anyway just to take the opportunity of using something you have been eagerly anticipating in using? This makes little business or commercial sense for Samsung at all. They need to encourage people that now is a very good time to upgrade to 5g and you can have it sim free where you choose your own network as you see fit not selling a device that is advertised as sim free unless you want to pay over the odds for a phone and never getting to use the most exciting part. Now or in the future.

I'm assuming the network it's locked to is three? http://www.three.co.uk/samsung/galaxy-note-10-plus-5g/plans?memory=256&colour=Aura%20Glow&plans=mont...

They are offering the 5g Note 10 Plus and seem to be getting quite obsessed in talking about 5g and Note 10 Plus in the same breath. No network provider will openly advertise a service that can be utilised by another network provider. That would be like Vodafone putting on their website they will sell the Note 10 Plus 5g phone and then direct their customers to Three so they can pay them every month for their 5g contracts. FYI information, the 5g variant Note 10 Plus is £1,099 with a three sim. Sorry I meant sim free not sim THREE! 😋😉

BandOfBrothers

I'm awaiting an official answer from Samsung.

I use dual sim phones in order to use two different network mobile operators sim cards which I wouldn't want to lose.

So if I'm reading this right even tho it's a dual sim variant it'll only accept two same network operator sim cards !

I hope I'm wrong.

Looking at the Samsung Galaxy s10 5G variant it's the same with this too. 

i.e. locked to participating networks.

:Sad_face:

Current Phone  >

I can understand your frustrations @BandofBrothers and share them.

My last phone was dual sim and at first I was skeptical of ever wanting to take advantage of two sims in the same phone. Until I realized I could have two phone numbers - one for social purposes friends etc and the other purely for work. Instead of having to carry around two phones with separate chargers, I could just have one phone. I did get quite accustomed to it after a while.

To be honest I am still struggling to understand the logic of this sim free 4G/network locked 5G phone. Everything about it is just wrong. I will have a look in a bit on some of the forums what people had to say about the S10 5G being network locked too. I bet the Chief Exec of Vodafone is pulling his hair out now heavily advertising the start of the 5G era, spending a small fortune getting Lewis Hamilton onboard, only to discover the two main phones you want to take advantage of this new exciting venture in 5G will actually not work at all as Samsung decide to go exclusive with someone else.

Yes I bet the Chief Exec is mighty angry now!