cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Samsung Unpacked Event 7th of August 2019.

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

So looking forward to this unpacked event.

Being a Note 9 owner I'm excited to see what the Note 10 brings to the table.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

25 REPLIES 25

BandOfBrothers

If I choose to buy a phone from a Network I accept it to be locked to that network and then would need to reach required criteria to request it's unlock.

However if I buy a phone directly from Samsung I expect it to accept any networks  sim card as I'm paying retail cost.

Ok so if the network sim card I'm using does not offer 5G in my area or on my particular chosen tariff so it should just connect to 3G or 4G.

Then at least when things change 5G is a possibility @ReedPR 

Current Phone  >

This link may provide the reasons behind this decision Samsung have made - https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cnet.com/google-amp/news/galaxy-note-10-plus-5g-wont-work-on-at-t-a...

Be warned it is headache inducing. Suffice to say in America it is much worse than here. Verizon will be getting their hands on the 5g model before T-Mobile and the other networks and it is not entirely for financial gains.

Now this is where it gets complicated. Each of the American network providers will get a different variation of the 5g version phone. The reason behind this is that each 5g network phone has different modems in them to properly support the technology each network provider has spent billions of dollars investing in their 5G infrastructure. One network provider ls 5G phone will support a 2.4ghz low end signal which can be mass produced better but would mean nowhere near as fast download/upload speeds another network providers 5g phone can accommodate but is on a higher signal so not as easily mass produced.

In a nutshell, these 5g phones will eventually be sim free in name only as each network providers 5g technology will be that different to another network providers tech, it may mean sim free phones become a thing of the past.

Like I say - headache inducing.

BandOfBrothers

So here's an update after speaking with the Samsung Social Media Teams.

Apparently the Samsung Note 10+ 5G will accept any Networks sim card and connect to 3G , 4G or 5G.

Current Phone  >

@BandofBrothers

That is indeed a relief that people can purchase  the 5g phone and not feel forced to use a different network. What we need to hear now from Samsung and indeed if any network providers who may very well be monitoring this post as we speak to provide us with accurate information of what the future holds for this device with regards to 5g and whether we can expect to get network locked 5g specific phones to save people wasting their hard earned cash on a device now they can never fully utilise.

It would be very useful indeed if a network provider can offer any indication they will be supporting this device in the future wouldn't it @BandofBrothers 😉

On a sidenote, can the Note 10 plus be bought as 4G only sim free?

BandOfBrothers

Yes there's a Note 10 and Note 10+ that's 4G.

Then there's the Note 10+ 5G which I'm hoping to purchase. 

Current Phone  >

All we can do now is wait to see what network provider is having this device first and hope it doesn't have exclusive right to this phone throughout it's lifecycle.

I am a very passionate believer in freedom of speech and choice. To hear that the most anticipated device of the year will be network locked for it's 5g is very disappointing news.

Let's keep our fingers crossed that before August 23rd there is good news to hear from Samsung and our worries and concerns can be put to bed.

Please keep us posted @BandofBrothers if you have any further updates on this and I wish you good luck you get your new phone and it is everything you expected and more.

BandOfBrothers

I think the main networks will all offer it @ReedPR 

Vodafone have introduced 5G in certain cities.

My current understanding is that the Note 10 5G will accept any sim card if bought from Samsung and will attain connection upto 4G depending on what's available where a person resides etc and 5G will connect if supplied by the Network, a person has an eligible tariff and 5G sim card. 

This is the UK Samsung Newsroom link to the Spec Sheets for the Note 10 phones.

Very impressive on paper.

news.samsung.com/uk/introducing-galaxy-note10-designed-to-bring-passions-to-life-with-next-level-pow...

Current Phone  >

Yes, @BandofBrothers the specs of this phone are ridiculously powerful. The screen is best I've ever seen on any phone and the charging ability up to 45W is just madness! I bet that charger will not come cheap when it's released later on.

I hope I have not interpreted part of the specs incorrectly -

'LTE Dual SIM: one Nano SIM and one Nano SIM Dual SIM (Hybrid): one Nano SIM and one Nano SIM or one MicroSD slot (up to 1TB)

5G Single SIM: one Nano SIM and one MicroSD slot (up to 1TB)

.* SIM card and MicroSD card sold separately.

* Hybrid SIM tray available only on Galaxy Note10+ LTE model'

Thats saying to me the hybrid tray is only available on the LTE version and the 5G model is only 1 sim and microSD slot rather than dual sim or hybrid?

BandOfBrothers

Edit.....

Yes the Samsung Note 10+ 5G is a single network and Sd card set up. :Sad_face:

My preference is to not use a Sd card as 512Gb or 256Gb is enough internal storage.

I use two different network sim cards instead.

Not looking promising for me is it  @ReedPR 

Current Phone  >

I am sorry to be the deliverer of bad news to you @BandofBrothers

There must be more to 5g technology than meets the eye. Unless a 5g sim card will be a completely new size compared to what we have now, I do not understand the logic with this 1 sim 1 sd slot.

Look on the bright side though. Buy the hybrid tray LTE version and in a couple of years when. You are due for a new phone, 5g should hopefully be stable enough a network and phone manufactures will have more experience with the tech to offer us what we have now in 4g. Me personally there is no way would I pay £1.099 for a supposed sim free phone which if you use 5g on it, which is the whole point of buying a 5g phone, it's not sim free at all. That is false advertising.