cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Tempered Glass Screen Protector. ~ My Review.

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Tempered Glass Screen Protector Review

image.jpeg.

After viewing one of these glass screen protectors on my colleagues mobile phone and seeing how well it integrated onto the iPhone screen and that it felt just like the original screen I made up my mind to acquire one.

I ordered the shield from one of the famous auction sites for £1.70. Other options that are available can cost up from £15 plus.

The shield arrived very quickly so I fitted it straightaway and have been using it for a few months now.

I opted to use the 'hinge method' to fit the glass shield which for me has always meant the shields I have fitted have been straight and inline. Basically you use cello-tape on the side of the shield onto the phone, which creates a hinge.

On pressing in the middle of the shield you can actually see the silicone adhesive take hold. No bubbles at all.The key is to ensure the phone screen is spotlessly clean and free of specs of dust.

Some advocate going into the bathroom and running the shower , turning it off , wait and the steam catches the dust particles in the air and traps them onto the ground thus stopping dust particles adhering to the phone screen.

TouchScreen.

I have not come across any loss at all in sensitivity and is as a smoother experience as using the main screen. Maybe this could be down to the oleophobic coating wearing off the iPhone display with wear and tear, and now feels better using the fresh coating on the tempered glass screen protector. Finger prints seem to be less apparent too.

The thickness is 0.4mm so does not add anything major to the iPhone in thickness or weight. The surface has a hardness of 8-9H which is 3 times stronger than regular PET film. Sharp objects such as knives and keys are reported to not scratch the surface. Time will tell on how it will stand up to scratches but I won't be using a knife on it ,or keep my keys in the same pocket as my phone.

My iPhone original case fitted without issue.

The Good.

Hopefully it will save my iPhone screen if an accidental drop occurs. Will keep my screen free of scratches for when I sell it on. If smashed it splinters into non sharp bits. My original iPhone case fits with the shield fitted. Cheap as chips.

The Not So Good.

Adds a little extra thickness but not really noticeable.

One time fit so be careful on fitting the shield.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

17 REPLIES 17

jeffkinn

Expensive mistake @63johnw

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

BandOfBrothers
I replaced one on my previous iPhone 5s and it shattered but kept in one piece as it's designed to do.

Current Phone  >

63johnw

@jeffkinn wrote:

Expensive mistake @63johnw

And not that difficult to do, bent it slightly and pop it went !

Hi Everyone

Before buying my own personal tempered glass cover about a year ago, I had NO idea what this meant. After a little digging and researching, I found out tempered glass is more heat resistant than regular glass, meaning your phone is less likely to be damaged by heat. Plastic screen protectors are much more likely to be scratched than tempered glass protectors, which are up to five times as thick as standard plastic protectors. 

Trust me guys it is really worth I dropped my phone down multiple brick stairs and when I picked it up, I was horrified to see what looked like a cracked screen. Low and behold, I took off my tempered glass screen cover – NOT A SCRATCH on my screen. 

BandOfBrothers
Hi

It's great to hear that the phones screen was protected by the shield.

Easier and cheaper to replace than a phone screen.

My son has had his iPhone 6 screen recently replaced at an Apple Store because he chose not to have any protection on the phone resulting in a bill of £80 !

He's now searching for a glass screen protector and case.

Current Phone  >

tayloranthony
1: Seeker

I found tempered glass screen protectors collection and review for iPhone 8 Plus :

https://www.howtoisolve.com/best-iphone-8-plus-tempered-glass-screen-protectors/

When it comes to durability of the screen, I trust on Apple products. My iPhone has been dropped many times, but I got the only scratch on the screen. And that's why I had started using tempered glass screen protector, and its definitely protect my precious device. You can check out this best review screen protector https://www.megebyte.com/best-iphone-8-plus-screen-protectors/

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

There is one slight drawback to the tempered glass protectors - the increased use of slightly curved screens for the phones. I have the correct one for my phone (Sony XA), as recommended in plenty of reviews, but there are less responsive areas around the edge of the screen, which can cause problems with closing the screen on a few apps, and make the q and p keys on my keyboard slightly problematic - just have to hit them harder.

That said, the phone, screen and protector have survived numerous knocks and drops, and realistically I give my phones quite a hard time.