Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Text received from SMSINFO - how to find sender

nicolabrown1198
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I received an abusive text message from SMSINFO (no number), has anyone had any experience with this, how do I find out who sent this abuive test message?

9 REPLIES 9

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @nicolabrown1198

Vodafone UK offer the following help and advice What-can-I-do-about-nuisance-spam-or-marketing-texts.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @nicolabrown1198

If you are using Android if you hard press on the message and tap more > more >view details, this should display the senders details.

After forwarding on the message by following the link from @BandOfBrothers, it may be better to ignore the message and definitely not reply, it can sometimes make things worse with the spammer knowing they have an active mobile number.

It doesnt give you any options apart from date and time when you press and hold the message. It's not spam, it was specifically aimed at myself and mentioned my partners name.

Does the sender of the sms give any indication on who they are. 

Google Search does not give any definitive answer.

If it's someone who's using a particular sms app / piece of software to disguise their ID then getting Vodafone UK involved or the authorities can help. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Gosh @nicolabrown1198

That is shocking.  Hope you find the where the message came from.  If you get any more, or feel threatened in any way don't hesitate to get the Police involved.

hrym

I havent come across SMSINFO, but it sounds like an anonymisation service.   If this is the only message you receive, I'd be inclined to ignore it.   Don't delete it, however as, if you receive more, it'll be evidence of a pattern.  It's also possible that whoever is behind it may reveal enough of what they know about you to narrow the sender down.

If this becomes harrassment, you can involve the police, but the service is likely to be based abroad, and therefore outside their reach.  Tracking the perpetrator is likely to be down to you in the end, I'm afraid.

Stauros_kokki
1: Seeker

Hello, i jist recieved a message from smsinfo and its said "someone posted a photo of me in a 'link'

I dont want to open it, but what if its true? What should i do? Its a scum? 

Josh
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Stauros_kokki If you're ever unsure it's always best to not follow any suspicious links, regardless of what message entails with them. I'll gladly look up if the number is related to spam related content, are you able to confirm the number the message was received from? 

TinEd
1: Seeker

I live in Australia where smsinfo targets Australia Post customers and I received my second ever text message from smsinfo today, the last one was months ago stating that they had tried to drop of a parcel and to click on some link...  Australia Post and other organisations do not send texts expecting customers to click on links - I had learnt this the hard way with the Medicare scam.

What I have come to realise about these phlishing scammers is that they are not just willy nilly, scam texts came  from fake AustPost when I was expecting a parcel by Australia Post and the same with Medicare - I was expecting a medicare refund for roughly the amount fake medicare said they were refunding. The only way I realised too late about Medicare was that the fake website would let you go backwards over important information, whereas a government website will put up a script error.

Anyone can take the UK Government’s Too smart to be scammed online quiz

I have not linked it to the page but it should be easy enough to find. Hope this info helps someone.