Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Re: Warranty?

Kaber-999
1: Seeker

Hi everyone, 
I made an account and this is the first time posting on a forum. If anyone can give me some advice that would be great. Ive had a vodafone contract for 4 years now and i am very happy with the service and connection i get hence why i am very frustrated right now.
I bought a vodafone smart platiumn 7 around a year ago off ebay (the phone was released in 2016 july) and it was running perfectly up until a month and a half ago (January 2018) . After briefly checking on vodafone forums about the warranty, i read that vodafone offer 24 month manafacturers warranty. The problems started when my phone would freeze up and restart, then a few hours later it got worse and would just continously boot-up and restart. Finally, it stopped turning on and upon plugging it in, the notification light (indicating the phone is charging) would flash. At this point i took it to my local store, they helped me out and (were very nice about it) sent it off for repair. After collecting it a week later, i was told it was exchanged for another phone as the repair was not "worth" doing. A few days later the problem i faced had occured again, which i wasnt happy about but there was not much i could do but return to the store and seek their advice. I visited the store recently and after waiting for 30 minutes for the employee to conduct "checks"  because they did not believe that there was something wrong with the phone, i was told that my phone was not under warranty anymore and pay as you go phones only come with 12 month warranty. The phone was sent off for repair but if there was an issue id have to pay for the repair. Ive had an amazing time as a vodafone customer and also the Vodafone smart line phones ive had have been good for me, however im very unhappy with the service in my local store. 
My questions are
1. Was the employee right in telling me i have no warranty?
2. Why did my warranty work a month ago and not now?
3. What would be the best course of action in repairing the phone?

Thank you for your time. 

6 REPLIES 6

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @Kaber-999

The info regarding 12 month warranty is incorrect. This is something we have seen advised previously by Vodafone staff. 

1. Warranty is 24 months and starts from the purchase date. 

2. The warranty may now have been exhausted 

3. If Vodafone has stated the warranty has exhausted then they will levy a charge for repair or you could try a highstreet store who advertises they repair. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

If the phone wasn't released until July 2016, it can't possibly be out of a 24-month warranty yet.

My recollection of the earlier threads on this topic was that the stores seemed to be totally unaware that Vodafone had changed its policies, and that PAYG phones were also covered by a 24-month warranty. I would hope that the repairs section wouldn't be raising charges simply because the store in question had its facts wrong.

BandOfBrothers

Its always been 24 month manufacturing warranty on payg as well as pay monthly as far as im aware. 

When-I-buy-a-device-from-Vodafone-how-long-does-the-warranty-last-and-what-does-it-cover.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

@BandOfBrotherswrote:

Its always been 24 month manufacturing warranty on payg as well as pay monthly as far as im aware. 

No, very definitely not so, although I can't remember exactly when it changed. Certainly my first couple of smartphones bought via Vodafone were only under warranty for 12 months. I'd guess it changed as recently as 2014 or 2015, but it could have been a bit earlier.

On reflection, it could have been a fair bit earlier. Unfortunately the stores seem to be slow in catching up with the information, as they've been giving out the 12-month version of the story from time to time.

Further update: Amazing! I decided to do a search, and found an answer in a part of the Archive that is apparently accessible! https://forum.vodafone.co.uk/t5/Archive/Vodafone-533-Is-it-still-under-warranty/m-p/482625#M269243 shows that, as far back as 2010 the PAYG warranty was only 12 months, but I can't find any clues as to exactly when it changed.

Getafix
16: Advanced member

Warranty Question.

Getafix

Do you have the original Paperwork to show when the ebay seller had purchased the Phone?

The 24 months Warranty comes if bought and used with a 24 month Contract.

It could be possible that you phone was on the cusp of the Warranty when you first took it in. However the second time it could be out.