I've put an SD card into my phone and can't seem to access it please help
3 REPLIES 3

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi,

Which phone are you using please ?

Is it a new or existing Sd Card. 

Can you test the Sd Card in another device. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Annie_N
Community Champion (Retired)
Community Champion (Retired)

@lisabaccus

There used to be a common problem with SD cards being too slow (or occasionally too fast) for a particular phone. As phones have developed, the problem seems much less common, but it may still be worth thinking about.

Cards have a 'Speed Class' which I believe refers to the minimum sustained write speeds. Cards will commonly be rated as Class 2 (minimum write speed of 2MB/s), Class 4 (4MB/s),Class 6 (6MB/s) or Class 10 (10MB/s). You will find the rating of your card in a small circle on the card - you may need a magnifying glass! If your card is C4, it might be worth trying a C10 card in its place.

hrym

What size is the card?   Some devices have trouble with ones over 32 or 64gb.  

When you open Settings|Storage, does the card show there, or in the file manager app?

I'm also slightly confused by the title of your thread.   When you say "can't move", do you mean move apps to the card?   Not all of them will, so it's a matter of going through and seeing which ones can be moved.  Cards are best used for content storage (camera, music, files etc).   Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "storefont" (unless it's a typo for "storage"??)

Also please note that you'll need to use the system file manager to move files to the card - part of Android security is that 3rd party apps have limited access to cards, which effectively precludes file managers.