Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Another unlock iPhone topic

praxis22
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I live in Germany, I went back to the UK recently to renew my passport and while there I bought an iphone 8 plus for my wife, (who has cracked her Galaxy S8+ screen) from CEX on Tottenham Court Road it said it was locked to Vodaphone, but I figured what the hell, it cheap enough I can get it unlocked later.

Vodaphone Germany won't/can't unlock my iPhone, so I phone Vodaphone in the UK, they say I need a UK SIM for 30 days, but won't send one to Germany. Though they did confirm the EMEI was thiers. Failing that talk to Apple. I suspect I was told that to fob me off as Apple says they cannot unlock phones locked by a provider. At least according to thier website.

The phone is new as far as I can see, not a mark on it, complete box and contents, etc. However unlike Android phones you can't use it without a SIM. All I get is a white screen and a red button, and when I slot my wife's O2 SIM and click the button it tells me the phone is locked, and this is not a problem with the phone.

So the question is, if I get my mother to send me a PAYG SIM, and it sits in the phone unused for 30 days roaming, is that enough to get a NUC?  Can I authenticate a Vodaphone UK PAYG SIM in Germany?

Is the advice to talk to Apple Valid? Like I said the phone is not activated, I doubt it has ever been used, or registered.

Not sure where to go here.

Cheers!

5 REPLIES 5

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @praxis22

The phone needs to be used on the local network in the UK for 30 days.  Your best option would be to send the phone to your Mother and let her use the phone in the UK for 30 days, get the phone unlocked and then returned to you.

63johnw

Hi @praxis22 as @AnnS has correctly stated it must be used on the Vodafone UK network, making the odd call or sending the odd text message to register it on their network then the unlock request can be submitted.

Can I get somebody from Vodaphone to confirm this? Does it actually need to be used. My mother is very happy with her Android, and her life and writing are on it. I might be able to get her to text me from the iPhone. But she's not going to be able to set it up or anything she's 70+

63johnw

BandOfBrothers

The advice given to unlock via Vodafone UK is 100% correct @praxis22

Apple wouldnt engage with you over unlocking a Network locked phone so thats true too. 

If sending the phone back to the UK for the usage criteria on the UK Network isn't viable then perhaps look to see if there is a highstreet store who advertises they unlock phones.

Its not the best option I submit but is an option. 

Please dont consider using any online unlocking options as ive heard of stories such as it not unlocking and not being able to secure a refund. 

I wish you all the best with this situation. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.