Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Cubot One - No internet connectivity

KennyTempleton
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Recently bought a Cubot One for my daughter to replace a water damaged monthly contract phone. All great with the exception that the phone will NOT connect to the internet (unless on wireless). Have been into the Vodafone shop and they say the settings are correct.

I'm at a bit of a dead end. Any ideas out there?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

iainmann
9: Established

To get 3G working on the Cubot One on Vodafone UK go into APN settings and change Authentication Type from Not Set to None. It will then work. 

View solution in original position

61 REPLIES 61

There are precious few useful answers, either.

jeffkinn
17: Community Champion
There are lots of answers if you ask the right question and appreciate that the response might not fit with your preordained prejudice.

Jeffkinn_Sig.png

hrym

Look at it this way.  You need to make a repait to your car, so you buy a spanner, but it doesn't fit.  Is that the manufacturer's fault?

Bad analogy - here is a better one:

I put petrol (airtime) in the tank and then the car will take me to some destinations, but not others. I feel an explanation is required from the petrol supplier.

hrym

The thing is, Vodafone don't support this device, so can only give you generic settings which ought to work, but can't be guaranteed to.

I'd suggest talking to Cubot, after all, it's their device.

To continue your analogy, if the petrol takes you to one direction but not another, that suggests the petrol's OK but the problem lies elsewhere - with the map perhaps.  Not the driver, obvoiusly.

grolschuk
Community Champion (Retired)

Ok, so is it only the Google Play store that does not work?

Is it the App, or the webpage?

Could it be that the amount of data needing to transfer to load the thing is too large for a 2G connection and it times out before it can open?

Apart from the device not being made for the UK market (it wouldn't be using the 3G frequencies it is if it was) getting it going at all is a good feat.

As for the argument about needing to pay £300+ for a smartphone that is supported by vodafone that is a load a rubbish.

There are a number of Andriod and Windows8 devices starting from £50, up to the price that the Cubot would have been.

With the added benefit of being designed to work in this country and on the vodafone network.

Hi everyone,

Please keep this thread on topic. Any further posts that are not directly related to getting the Cubot One up and running, will be removed.

Hi uspnet,

We don’t support dual SIM phones and outside of the settings that you’ve already got, there’s nothing further that we can do to resolve your issue.

There is, however, an immense amount of mobile phone experience available, from various members of the community, who I’m sure will be able to suggest some things for you to try, like grolschuk has already.

Thanks,

Wayne

grolschuk  Google loses sync and then nothing - maps, calendar, mail, play are accessible using the Vodafone 3G data link. But everything still syncs and works when reverting to Wifi.

Therefore the most likely answer is that the Vodafone data network link to google is either accidentally or specifically preventing the connection.

All I ask is that Vodafone explain - surely they have access to all the tools, stats and info to see what is going on?  I have offered to send them a phone for their own tests if they cannot afford one.

grolschuk

I can't see why vodafone would treat data coming from you any differently to any other request from the same location.

There may be some intellegent bandwidth management that moves data between the high and low bandwidth frequencies going on (no idea if that is a valid technology, but would be good if not) and seeing lots of sync data going to/from google, it then bumps it up to the high bandwidth... which your phone does not support, so the connection dies.

At the point google loses sync, does all data stop? or are other things still loading new pages ok?

It will work fine on wifi as that is standard across most countries, and generally more robust than UTMS links.

If you were to borrow a phone that is designed for the UK and supported by Vodafone, and the same issue occurs, then things would need to be investigated, as it should work.

However if the same issue goes away in a different handset, that points to the other handset, and is not supported because it doesn't full work :Smiling:

hrym

I'm wondering whether this goes back to the frequency issue that was raised earlier in the thread.  If the Cubot is operating at 850mhz, then it'll never pick up the Vodafone signal on a 900mhz mast (I believe Vf are migrating to this lower frequency as it has better range).   There are then two possibilities 1) the data time-out issue that can happen over 2G, either when the network's congested or when the app is demanding a lot of data, or 2) a switchover issue with the device itself, which would be cured by limiting the connection to 2G (GPRS) only.

Also, the Cubot is, as I understand it, a dual-SIM device and the data connection can be operated via either SIM.   Is it possible that you're directing the data connection at the wrong SIM slot?