Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

IP Address Conflict

REWE
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

My Vodafone 875 coonects to my office WifI always using IP Address 192.168.0.2 - this causes a conflict on my networks and my workstations (Windows XP/Windows 7) generate error messages.

How can I change the handset IP Address?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I tried the following
1. Edited the router settings. Found that 192.168.0.2 was not reserved for any device.
2. Checked the desktop that its TCP/IP setting was to use staic IP - 192.168.0.2
3. Rebooted desktop - ran IPCONFIG and it had got 192.168.0.2
4. Switched phone WiFI on - got IP conflict error on desktop - looked at WiFI detail on phone, it was using 0.2  switched WiFI off
5. Daughter-in-law came in with her iPhone, it happily connected to a different IP 0.7
5. Edited router settings and specifically reserved 0.2 IP for MAC address of Desktop.
6. Rebooted router - THIS is important
7. Switched phone WiFi on - it got next available 0.8 IP address.

There is a mixture of problems here.
Router (NetGear DGND3700v2) appears to issue an IP address that is already in use to Android Phone (4.1.1), yet my Android Tablet (4.0.1) gets the next available as did the Daughter-in-law's iPhone
On Android tablet I can edit global seetings and set WiFi IP to either DHCP or static.  I can find no similar setting on the Android phone.
Anyway problem is solved - thanks for all your help.
It confirms the saying:-
"A Standard is a Norm around which everyone deviates"

View solution in original position

22 REPLIES 22

Neil_Brown
14: Advanced member

The manual is here, and page 55 seems to be relevant. If it is a setting on the device, chances are you are looking for something which sets the IP address to "static", and then allocates that particular address.

I am surprised if this is the default state of the phone, though, as other private address ranges exist. Could it be that, for some reason, your router's DHCP function is trying to force that address down to the device every time it connects, causing a conflict with another device which has a static IP assignment?

Neil

Thank you - I had already studied the menual and can find nothing about setting/changing he IP addrees.  The devide on my office network is a Desktop PC which for a variety of reasons is assigned a static IP on 192.168.0.2.

Whnever I switch my phone on in ranges of the WIFI (on a Netgaer DG03700v2 router) the desktop immediately reports an IP conflick.  It would  seem the phone does not use DHCP to get a network address but always uses 192.168.0.2.

We could change the static IP on the Desktop but there is a lot of othe grief hanging on that and in any case the phone should not be grabbing the IP it wants rather than the one it is given.

Can anyone tell me how to changes the IP that the phone uses?

Neil_Brown

Interesting!

I don't have an Android device to hand, unfortunately, but I should have thought it was within the "Network Settings" part of the Settings app, which is the bit I was hoping the manual would help you find.

Something like this might also be worth investigating?

Neil

Sorry - your link under this does not work. I can look at Advanced WiFi settings, and see the 192.168.0.2 IP addreess but however  much I press, click or even hammer!! it :smileyhappy: I cannot change it!

Neil_Brown

Thanks - the forum injected some extra text into the URL string. That should now be fixed.

However, if the device is stopping you from adjusting a static IP, I would be surprised if the tool to which I have linked does anything to help :Sad_face:

Neil

Nabs
17: Community Champion

Have you tried opening the settings app >> go to WiFi (you should see a list of networks) >> long press the name of your network >> hit modify >> tick the 'Show Advanced Options' box >> ensure the 'IP settings' field is set to 'DHCP'

If this is already set to DHCP then your phone will be using the IP address given to it by the DHCP Server (probably built into your router) and the issue is likely to lie elsewhere rin your network.

Don't have a 4.1 device handy but I can't recall this process having changed recently.

Nabs

hrym

The othe possibility is that the router is using static IP addresses and not acting as a DHCP server, but you have to do some serious jiggery-pokery to get it to work like that.  I've done it to avoid conflict with another DCHP server on the same network, but it's a bit of a black art.

Thank you all for you help - I am beginning to think I am stuck with the problem. As an experienced software developer I am very familiar with IP and all that stuff. My router works fine as a DHCP server with other devices such as an Android tablet. I have tried every route to get at the IP settings on the phone without success. I will take it into the Vodafome shop who supplied it and see if they can help - you never know!

hrym

I think what it comes down to is that none of us has ever heard of a device using a fixed IP address by default.  Could you reset your router to clear out all the cuurently-assigned addresses, then connect the phone to use up that address, then re-connect all the other devices, which should now be handed non-conflicting addresses?  Would that work?