Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

IPhone 5S Unlock.

schab
3: Seeker

Cross posted in Pay Monthy by error; didn't realise there was a board for this topic, apologies.

I am unable to use my iPhone 5S with a SIM card from another network. It was bought from a Vodafone store on contract in 2014 and has been fully paid off. I have been on SIMO contracts since.

I am unable to use a different SIM despite the web form (via e-mail) and team on 191 telling me that it is unlocked? I have not put an unlock request in until today.

The error I get is that the SIM is not supported under the activation policy supplied by the activation server. It is a 3 UK SIM card that I am trying to use. The current Vodafone SIM works fine.

Could someone please advise me on how this can be fixed? Presumably the issue is at Vodafone or Apple as the error is from the activation server.

I was advised to e-mail [MOD EDIT: This post has been edited to remove content please see Community Guidelines] but the mail did not deliver.

Thanks.
7 REPLIES 7

schab
Hi,

I am unable to use my iPhone 5S with a SIM card from another network. It was bought from a Vodafone store on contract in 2014 and has been fully paid off. I have been on SIMO contracts since.

I am unable to use a different SIM despite the web form (via e-mail) and team on 191 telling me that it is unlocked? I have not put an unlock request in until today.

The error I get is that the SIM is not supported under the activation policy supplied by the activation server. It is a 3 UK SIM card that I am trying to use. The current Vodafone SIM works fine.

Could someone please advise me on how this can be fixed? Presumably the issue is at Vodafone or Apple as the error is from the activation server.

I was advised to e-mail nucresolutions(at)help.vodafone.com but the mail did not deliver.

Thanks.

redpages
17: Community Champion

It sounds like it's still locked to the Vodafone network if you're getting that error message with the other SIM.

You've taken the right first step by completing the unlocking request form today.

Next steps, Vodafone should email you to say they've unlocked it. At this point, you'd need to connect the phone to iTunes and recync the device to complete the process (help article here)

Vodafone customer since 2004. Attempting to help where I can on the Community

BandOfBrothers

Hi @schab

Its a bit confusing for people because when a person fills out an unlocking form they'll get a reply from Vodafone suggesting its been unlocked. 

The process is that the email from Vodafone is really confirming they've accepted the unlock request and then they contact Apple to ask for it to be released. 

This can occasionally take Apple up to 30 days to complete. 

Within that time period a person should insert an active alternative network sim card and if its an iphone 4s or lower also hook up to iTunes. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

I see your point, and thanks both posters above.

I filled out the online form, got a confirmation e-mail saying that they'd received my unlock request but it was quickly followed by this e-mail (within a matter of minutes);

Unlock.PNG

I'm not sure because it doesn't seem like it's unlocked. Like I said, the 3 SIM is still not supported despite the above message.

My question therefore is whether it is likely to be in the process of being unlocked, and if so how can I confirm that this is the case. Can one of the mods look into this for me please to clarify as the e-mail address that 191 gave me does not seem to work.

According to the chap on 191 the device is unlocked so I presume the 3 SIM should work just fine. Sadly this is not the case.

Thanks.

BandOfBrothers

You're very welcome. 

Vodafone themselves cannot unlock an iphone. 

Only Apple can do this after being asked by Vodafone to do so. 

This timeframe can be from a short period of time up to approximately 30 days. 

I hope it's asap for you. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Yes, I appreciate that but given the conflicting information I have received (that the device is unlocked, both via e-mail and from the team on 191) I just want to make sure that the process of unlocking the phone has been initiated.

Unfortuanately there is no way of me confirming this directly with the team who send the unlock requests to Apple.

Thanks.

JohnJ
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@schab We want to get your phone unlocked for you as soon as possible.

I've viewed the email you've sent, please can you answer the below.

• Has the phone been reported lost or stolen?
  • Has 3 unlock codes been requested with in the last 12 months?
  • Have you used a Vodafone SIM for longer than 30 days?
  • Your previous 3 bills are paid and up-to-date