Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Network Unlock Requirements

kmurgatroyd
1: Seeker

Hi there,

I'm trying to unlock my phone as I've moved to Australia and need to sign up with a new provider. After processing a contract cancellation, I filled out the NUC form and received the following response:

You recently asked us to unlock your phone so you can use it on another network. Unfortunately, we can’t do this until your SIM has been active in your phone for at least 30 days.

I've had this phone since June and never used another SIM in it, so I don't understand why it's saying I need to wait 30 days. Does anyone have any advice?

2 REPLIES 2

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Hi @kmurgatroyd

When someone is leaving the UK but wants the phone unlocking I advise to do this well before leaving the UK. 

I do this for two reasons. 

1. If Vodafones systems throw up a problem that means the phone has to be in the UK to resolve then your still in a position to get this resolved. 

2. Phones need to be in the UK on the UK Network for unlock codes to be guaranteed to work. 

The good thing here is that your using an iphone which is the exception to that rule as that phone does not unlock by a code being keyed in to the phone but instead by Apple unlocking it from their Database. 

Has the iPhone ever been replaced by Apple or an Insurance company?

I appreciate your saying you've never had a break from using it on the Vodafone UK Network so that should not be the issue. 

Was the iPhone supplied by an independent such as CPW as this is a known problem as they sometimes do not update Vodafone of the phones details. 

As I see it your options could are to..

1. Use Live Chat and ask them to escalate this to the Vodafone Nuc Unlocking Department or ask for the Nuc Unlocking Department email address so you can contact them.  

2. Send the iPhone to someone you know in the UK and they use a Vodafone payg sim card in the iPhone for 30 days making calls etc and then they request its unlock and send it back to you. Weighing up shipping costs. 

3. See if a High steet store advertising unlocking of iPhone's can unlock it. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

@kmurgatroyd We'll be happy to look into this further for you. 

We'll need to access your account, so I've sent you a private message with details on how to get in touch with us 😊