main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Other OS & Unlocking

Phone locked

Highlighted
2: Seeker

I bought a brand new unlocked Vodafone 200 smart 7, has been working fine on pay as you go with ASDA, then a Vodafone software update was sent, ever since phone is locked - Been on the phone to Vodafone several times, they will get back to me, gave me incorrect email address, incorrect phone numbers and never returned my calls.

They now say I have to get a free sim and use it for 30 days and then they will unlock my legitimate phone, isn't this called blackmail?  Is there away around this pure red tape and bad customer relations, if I ever wanted to be a customer?

View more options
8 REPLIES
17: Community Champion

This is certainly a unique situation. 

My belief is Asda being a mvno now uses ee as their network to piggy back on so you shouldn't have received an update via Vodafone. 

That said updates are usually bug fixes and security patches so wouldn't usually lock a phone to a network. 

I think something else may have occurred due to piggy mobile network change. 

Does your Asda sim card work in another phone Ok ?

The route you've been advised in regards to using a Vodafone payg sim card for 30 days is correct for phones that have been supplied directly by Vodafone.

Did Vodafone originally supply the phone when Asda piggy backed onto the Vodafone network previously ?

That said it's not just a case of popping in the sim for 30 days.

Usage has to occur such as calls and texts etc which will mean a top up will be required. 

You could ask Vodafone customer service for the nuc email address to request they help. 

Current Phone > Samsung Note9 _512Gb > Model: SM-N960 Duos.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

View more options

Phone purchased from ARGOS some 5 months ago, ASDA had the cheapest PAYG rates and it is only a back up phone.  Looked on the internet and others have had the same problem with the Vodaphone update, and getting the same response as me.  I have a vodafone card and put it into the phone and that works fine, had a new card sent from ASDA but again Network Locked - emergency calls only, the only screen left is the SIM network unlock PIN and I hasve only four attempts left.  On the back of the ASDA sim card holder( CR card thingy) is the SIM number and the PUK number but none will work.  I've been throw back and forth between ASDA and Vodafone, tried factory rest but goes back to the same, as though the last update is the factory setting.

I have £6 credit on the ASDA phone and the phone was only cheap, I can buy another if I wished, but it's the attitude and rules that make me angry, I have bought a completely legal phone and yet I can't use it.

View more options
17: Community Champion

I totally appreciate the unique conundrum your faced with. 

Current Phone > Samsung Note9 _512Gb > Model: SM-N960 Duos.

Samsung Gear s3 Frontier Watch.

View more options
Administrator

@Annoyed1309 It does sound strange that this has happened and your phone has locked back to our network. So we're able to raise your query with our Unlocking team, please contact us directly using the information in my private message

View more options

EFT195 is the number given on the other email.

For weeks I have been pushed around all departments in Vodafone, back and forth with ASDA, but when you analyse the situation, only one thing comes to mind.  My unlocked brand new VDF 200 Smart 7 was working fine until a software updated was texted to me, from then on I was locked to Vodafone.  My ASDA sim works perfectly well in what was my main unlocked phone and a Vodafone sim I happened to have works perfectly in the Smart 7 phone.  I been given false telephone numbers and email addresses, no one at Vodafone was willing to help or even say it was possible.  I have since been onto resolver who have taken on my complaint and funnily enough I was emailed by director/complaints or something, they said they would look into for me.  ASDA would not have locked my phone to Vodafone that's common sense, the only people to gain from being locked to a network is the network provider, in this case Vodafone.  I refuse to be held to ransom by Vodafone, get a sim, put £5 on it, use it for 30 days and we will unlock your phone.  The credit I had on ASDA network was only £6 and the phone cost me about £40, that's not the issue, in fact I gave the Smart 7 phone to my Taxi driver (No fare charged) for his niece to use, and I updated my unlocked windows phone to a EE Hawk on contract, so now my windows phone is working on ASDA network and my Hawk is on EE who I used for my windows phone.  I just don't see that it is fair that Vodafone has caused me all this time and effort, which I had plenty of other things I could be doing.  So that's the story.

View more options

I'm sorry for any confusion @Annoyed1309. So we can help with your Network Unlocking Code (NUC) query, we need you to follow the hyper link in the private message Alex sent. Once we receive your email, we can take a further look into this offer further advice and a resolution.

View more options

The Hyperlink click here doesn't work, it is not highlighted and doesn't give you the click option It's just plain text.

View more options

I'm sorry the previous link didn't work @Annoyed1309, I've sent you another private message. Please follow the link and we'll be happy to provide your NUC.

View more options