cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Problem with Blackberry phone and hands-free in car...

ats4603
4: Newbie

Hello

I have a Blackberry 9105 phone which I connect to the hands-free facility in a VW Touareg.  Every time I do this I get four messages on the car system, apparently from "6", which I cannot open...  Otherwise it all works OK.  When I disconnect gro the car, I get multiple texts on the handset saying:

It looks like you’ve swapped your SIM or updated your device. To continue using data and sending picture messages, you need to update your settings manually, as your device doesn’t support automatic settings updates. Get started at vodafone.co.uk/settingsinfo

Needless to say, I haven't changed anything on the phone and clicking the link doesn't take me anywhere helpful.

I've been into my local Vodafone store several times and just get told that "it happens sometimes, nothing can be done"; on one occasion I was told to change my phone!

It's annoying more than anything else, and it only started happening suddenly a few months ago.  Any suggestions?

TIA

Andrew

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

hrym
17: Community Champion

Oh, gosh, Bluetooth in cars!   Don't you just love it?   It seems that VW group vehicles use the Remote SIM Access protocol (rsap) and that, in some devices (and, perplexingly, with some SIMs) can either cause a total communication failure and/or the problem you're experiencing.

What I think is happening is that the connection to the car is breaking that with the phone so that, when you disconnect, the phone thinks it's got a new SIM and tells you to upgrade your settings.   No, you don't need to and you can ignore the message, but you won't be able to stop it happening.

Why this has suddenly started happening is a bit of a mystery, but it's probably due to a system upgrade, either in the car or the phone.   If it's the latter, contact a VW dealer and ask them to make sure your car has the latest software.  Sadly, though, car manufacturers aren't especially interested in which version of Bluetooth they fit and are often well behind what's in phones, resulting in all kinds of incompatibilities.

View solution in original position

10 REPLIES 10

hrym

Oh, gosh, Bluetooth in cars!   Don't you just love it?   It seems that VW group vehicles use the Remote SIM Access protocol (rsap) and that, in some devices (and, perplexingly, with some SIMs) can either cause a total communication failure and/or the problem you're experiencing.

What I think is happening is that the connection to the car is breaking that with the phone so that, when you disconnect, the phone thinks it's got a new SIM and tells you to upgrade your settings.   No, you don't need to and you can ignore the message, but you won't be able to stop it happening.

Why this has suddenly started happening is a bit of a mystery, but it's probably due to a system upgrade, either in the car or the phone.   If it's the latter, contact a VW dealer and ask them to make sure your car has the latest software.  Sadly, though, car manufacturers aren't especially interested in which version of Bluetooth they fit and are often well behind what's in phones, resulting in all kinds of incompatibilities.

OK, thanks - guess I'll just have to live with it for now.  FWIW I just tried putting the SIM into an old Nokia 6810 - still get the messages on the car system.  Thinking about it, I've got a Giff-Gaff SIM somewhere, I'll try that in the Blackberry.

Right, found the Giff-Gaff SIM, results are as follows...

Blackberry 9105 + Vodafone SIM = problem

Nokia 8610 + Vodafone SIM = problem

Blackberry 9105 + Giff-Gaff SIM = no problem

So it seems to be a Vodafone problem; maybe I should change network rather than the phone?!

hrym

There have been various reports of issues with VW group cars and Vodafone SIMs and it apppears to be something to do with the rSAP.  Quite what it is isn't clear, but the "update your settings message" suggests that the car is trying to take the SIM over completely and then handing it back when it disconnects.   The network/phone interprets this as a new SIM, hence the message.   FWIW, I've just done a system update on one of my phones and get the same message (which I've ignored), so clearly it starts from scratch in some way.

As far as is known, Vodafone aren't/can't block rSAP, but keep an eye on this thread, which relates to the same issue.

Ultimately, it may come down to how Bluetooth is implemented in the car.

Thanks for that.  I went into my local Vodafone store a while ago and they gave me a replacement SIM - same problem (plus they lost all my contacts from the SIM and you can't do a bulk copy...).

The software (or is it firmware?) in the car hasn't been updated for a long time,and the phone used to work fine until a few months ago, so I still suspect the problem lies with the Vodafone SIM?

I'll keep an eye on the other thread as you suggest.

hrym

The shop should have been able to copy your contacts using their Red Box service.   I'm not familiar with Blackberries, but these days it's generally better to keep contacts on the device so that they can be sync'd with an online service.   You usually get more flexibility, too, with the option to have multiple numbers per contact, email and physical addresses.

If the device was working and now isn't, I'd suspect an update somewhere.  Did you get a firmware update for the phone?   That may well have done something to the Bluetooth implementation and I honestly can't see how rSAP could be disabled at network level or the SIM modified in any way.

It might be worth getting a VW dealer to check that the car's software is up to date, though I think that was tried in the other instance and didn't make a difference.

Thanks again.

The reason for copying contacts to the SIM is that the VW system then copies them to its memory (for some reason it doesn't copy from the phone memory).

The phone hasn't been updated for ages - it's such an old model that I don't think Blackberry care about it any more!  Pity, because it does what I need a phone to do.

I possibly didn't make it clear - I can make and receive calls via the VW system, I just get these irritating texts saying I've changed my SIM etc.

hrym

Oh, ah.  Thanks for clarifying.   I'm afraid the texts do seem to be an annoying "feature" of the way rSAP works in some implementations.   What happens, as far as I can see, is that when you connect, it's like taking the SIM out of the phone and putting it in the car.  Then, when you disconnect, it reverses and that triggers the message.   It's best to ignore them if the phone still works, on the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" principle.

I get this problem ONLY on Vodafone because they're all hopelessly inept & cant keep up with technology. I solved it by swapping my sim for  EE works perfectly now just gotta wait for my Vodfone contract to expire and then leave.

It wouldn't be so bad if it just a couple of messages I get 30 + a day  - everytime I stop & start the car ( I work as a chauffeur) I blocked Vodafone then  they still sent them from 8 or 7 or 6 and they appeared in the middle of other messages. I was losing other important texts about flight arrivals etc.

I have tried many times by phone text and on line chat to resolve this issue the last one ewas with technical servioces who once again said they had solved it. Now my car want even accept a connection from my blackberry it says network does not allow data connection.

Take my advice the only real solution is change to a decent network i.e any one but vodafone !