cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Re; How do I work my wi-fi properly in my smart phone?

Hunny
4: Newbie
Hi guys, I know this question seems alittle silly to ask, but I have a new(ish) smart phone & am STILL finding my way around it! I have heard that if I use my wi-fi it doesn't cost me, coz it uses no data. But I seem to be having trouble setting it up. It must be working to a point coz on the wi-fi usage chart it shows so, background & foreground are both showing. But it seems that when I try to do a Google or browser searchiI get no where, I have the wi-fi sign up on my dashboard but sometimes it says to check my signal, or no signal! The wi-fi says I'm connected and everything, so what's wrong? I get this at home, at friends/parents & out & about. Am I doubt something wrong in the set up? Obviously I would like to use my wi-fi as there's no data charge, or at least use it when I can. Can someone go through the set I up with me perhaps to ensure I'm not dong anything wrong? Thanking you very much in advance to anyone who can help me with this one please, Hunny.
4 REPLIES 4

Hunny
P. S Hunny here again, sorry I forgot to mention that I have background data restriction on at present, would this affect it? I don't see why it should though, coz I have no opens with all my apps working fine & also the apps are taking background data from the wi-fi, as checked in the settings. But I just thought it best to mention, just in case! Hunny

Retired-Andy
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Hunny,

You’re right that if you only use Wi-Fi, you won’t incur data charges from us.

The background data restriction may affect your connection.

What phone do you have?

Usually, when connecting to a Wi-Fi network for the first time, you have to enter a password.

If you did this, did you get a confirmation message that you were connected?

If you’re still unable to connect, can you let me know the process you’re going through when you try?

Cheers,

Andy

Hunny
I have a Vodaphone 875,smart mini, which in the whole I'm very pleased with! I think I do remember adding some sort of code, but for the life of me cannot remember it & I don't think I had a conformation message either.I do get alerts when a WiFi network becomes available, but when I click onto message not slot happens. I press scan, and also when I see a network with a good signal I click on connect & have even been told I'm connected sometimes & get the littlesign on the dashboard&also like I said when I check WiFi usage it says background &foreground datahave both bbeen used? But I couldn't do any searches or send emails etc. I really don't know whats going on, as I've said, I'm relatively new to this so any help would be helpful in laymens terms please?Thank you for replying, a mistified Hunny.

DaveCD
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Hunny.

I just want to check that you're on the latest software for your phone and that we're working from the same page.

To do this we have a step by step guide here on how to back up your information, check your software and loads of other information to get the most from your phone here.

You'll also see a step by step guide on how to set up your Wi-Fi, please can you take a look and let me know how you get on.

DaveCD