Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Running out of space on BlackBerry media card/Other folder

Marietta15
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

Hi, I have a BlackBerry Curve and I'm having problems with running out of space on the media card. When I go on WhatsApp it keeps telling me the media card is almost full and it says I should delete media files but I have hardly any media on my phone. At one point I had 200 pictures but now I just have 54 and there are no videos or music files. (I had one video before but I deleted it). The photos only take up 1%.

There is a folder  called Other but I don't know what that is. I looked it up online and other people were having  the same problem but nobody seemed to know what "Other" means! Currently Pictures are taking up 1% (22.5MB), Documents are <1% (16.1KB) and Other is 94% 1.7GB). Only 4% is free.

Does anyone know what the problem might be or what "Other" means? Could it be something to do with an app like WhatsApp? I could delete WhatsApp stuff if that's the case because I won't be able to use it on my phone after New Year's Eve anyway. (They're upgrading it). I've tried rebooting several times but it doesn't make much difference.

Would be grateful for any help but if no one knows I can try a BlackBerry specific forum. :Smiling:

4 REPLIES 4

Carly
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Marietta15 

I've done a little digging for you and it appears that the other section is hidden files. You can access these by going to "files" then select"show hidden" The hidden files are in grey, select them and find one that says trash. All the files that are taking up the media storage will be in there. Use the blackberry button to view the properties, to show the file size and then delete them. This should free up some storage for you.

I hope this helps :Smiling: 

Hi Carly, thanks for your reply. :Smiling:

I tried this and clicked on "Show All Icons". I couldn't find anything that says "Show hidden". It brought up 2 grey icons which are Compose and Saved Messages. Compose takes me to my contacts. I don't have a huge amount of saved messages because my phone doesn't save texts automatically and emails eventually disappear too, or I delete them but maybe deleting some of the saved ones will help?

Thanks for your help. :Smiling:

Update:

I found the "Show hidden" option while looking under Explore in the Media section and it brought up a file called System. There were things in there that I didn't need, I think they got saved from when I visited websites and maybe from WhatsApp. I deleted them and now I have 99% free and 1% used! The "Other" is down to <1%.

Thanks for your help, Carly. :Smiling:

Rahim
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Marietta15 Thank you for updating us :Smiling: