Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

SIM Query

DavidMcMenemy
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi, my phone was stolen recently.

I have contacted Vodafone and had the SIM blocked.

They have blacklisted the phone however I have since remembered that the actual handset is different from the one received when my contract began (my original was damaged and I had to purchase a PAYG and insert my contract SIM as the phone was not covered by insurance)

The phone was locked however I was wondering about the below:

If the phone is locked, can it be unlocked by swapping sims?

And, I had some personal information in text messages, can this still be accessed?

2 REPLIES 2

hrym
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

The forum team will need to check which IMEI was blocked.  If you have a Google account, it might be worth going into it, then to Data Tools and Dashboard and expanding the Android section.  All devices you've used should be there and it may show which one is blocked.  If not, you'll at least be able to work out which is which by the registration and usage dates.

Putting a new SIM in the phone won't unlock it as such, but blocking only refers to making the device unusable on any UK network.  Access to information contained on it will only be protected by any PIN or password that was set.  If someone wants to use the phone and it's not blocked, they'll probably reset it, which will cancel the password, but also wipe the internal storage, so you're reasonably safe.

The Android section of your Google account also offers device management options and it might be worth investigating those, too.

Retired-Dave
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi DavidMcMenemy,

hrym offers some good advice here.

Click here to get us your details and we can check on this for you.

Dave