Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Smart mini beeping

hooker1uk
14: Advanced member
Hi. I've just picked up a smart mini, works well bar one annoyance. It flipping beeps all the time.

The notification tone works but the beeb comes at the same time, or when you set the phone to silent or if you set the. Wrong option (haptic feedback) the android keys beep.

Any way to stop that at all?

Thanks all.

Paul - Blogger at imwellconfused.me.uk @hooker1uk 

Current devices: Nokia e7-00, Smart ultra 7 - archos xenon 96 

Disclosure! I review devices, products and services in partnership with Vodafone UK on imwellconfused uk. Anything I post here is not affiliated or endorsed by Vodafone UK. 

7 REPLIES 7

hrym
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

You can download the manual for the Smart 2 here:

http://www.vodafone.com/content/dam/vodafone/about/what/devices/manuals/smartII/vodafone_smartii_mob...

I don't know whether what you want is there, or whether the Mini is different, but it's a good place to start.

It's possible that what you want is under keypad tones, but I may be wrong on that.

hooker1uk
Keypad tones are not on. With the keypad tones on it sounds like an older Nokia phones beep when you press a button. Whereas this is more of a beeep sound.
It seems to happens under the following

If I get a notification in silent mode

If I turn on haptic feedback (if I touch the android home, menu or back capacitive keys)

If I turn the phone from audible to silent using the notification bar shortcuts,

I'll look through the manual in case I've missed something, thank you. If I spot anything I'll come back. (Strangely the beep was also present in the Alcatel one touch star, but tct mobile put a beep on/off option. As they make the smart mini they should have looked into that.)

Paul.

Disclosure! I review devices, products and services in partnership with Vodafone UK on imwellconfused uk. Anything I post here is not affiliated or endorsed by Vodafone UK. 

hooker1uk

I've reset it, no change. I also read the manual with no clue. Even staff in the St.Pancras international branch have experienced it and think it's a dud but were unable to send it for repair as i was too far from my local store and they have a device re-flasher aparently. They mentioned the device serial number (NOT THE IMEI, that is correct and present) is not meant to be 0123456789ABCDEF also. 

hooker1uk
What an utter fail of 48 hours and transport costs.

Monday I take the phone in as recommended by twitter teams and another branch employee to the luton store to have the firmware reinstalled ( they've had this option before they moved stores in the Luton Arndale as they fixed my nokia c3 a few times in there)

I'm told to take the phone in today as the tech staff were unavaliable monday but would be tuesday. Fair enough but would make things easier if the tech actually replies to emails the WRT via twitter send out to save timewasting, the employee refses to do basic troubleshooting as he's not a tech and i quote "I'll probably end up braking it or making it worse!" Fair do's but i would have thought basic troubleshooting would be good to teach staff as feedback.

So back to today, I'm greeted by the same gent who gets the tech out. Well takes my phone out back and speaks to him. When he comes back in the phone is muted and I request the phone is looked at in front of me so i can replicate it and also if there was a setting I missed tell me and i'll call myself an idiot and leave. (Yes i have had embarrasment like that in the past with my ipad in an apple store)

The tech is nowhere to be seen while the guy who was uncomfortable with playing on my phone settings was playing away in sound. The concensus to mute the phone seems to be the winner for him. As he can't replicate or hear the issue i ink this is due to the noise coming from outside and the music inside I offer to replicated it via facebook notifications and whatsapp messages (Usual suspects for this are all apps with notifications bar sms message recieveing. ) it starts beeping while he's talking to the tech (until the point the tech had stayed out back untilhe saw other customers out front)

Between them talking his only thought was reset the phone. I offer to do this again in of him to prove it's not going to fix it as long as the tech could back my data up, this offer goes ignored. And the request to reflash the phone in store was denied as "we never do em here"

So for now i have a piece of poop phone that has faults with it's firmware (the custom rom avaliable does have a fix for this issue. But the phone is under warranty VF/TCT Alcatel should be fixing it not the modscene. )

The main guy i was dealing with seemed to drop more when i said there would be no way i would upgrade any earlier than september when it says on my vodafone pages, even the one due for upgrade in may!

The customer expereience had gone from awful to epic in the luton store. Why's is beginning to fail again now.
And not quite official word on the wrong phone device model number (NOT THE IMEI) according to TCT/ALCATEL customer care means an engineering sample may have been sent out by mistake in retail packaging, i hooe that is wrong.

I'll be in westfield white city, london on wednesday if there is a store nearby would they have the ability to try and fix it there?

hooker1uk
Took to westfield white city whilst in an event at a nearby shop to discover the phone can only be reflashed by tct mobile, not via vodafone or the in store techs. Thats a bit sucky.

hooker1uk
The reasoning for this is not listed hmmm. It was there the other day. The tech claimed it was too risky to try and reinstall the firmware there because of the strange device serial number and they are told not to sort them in store as they don't take reflashing very well.

Jenny
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi hooker1uk,

Apologies for the delay, we appear to have missed your post.

Did you get this sorted? Let us know if you need any further help.

Best wishes,

Jenny