Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Thank you Vodafone

cbmvic20
3: Seeker
3: Seeker

The thing with forums is that they're usually used for complaints or help with queries. You don't often hear about the cases that are resolved so I would like to share my experience.

I have an Xperia X Compact on PAYG and requested an unlock code using the online Vodafone NUC request form.

Form submitted, I got an automated reply saying that the code can take up to 10 working days. After 48 hours, I got another email from Vodafone with the unlock code. So far, so good.

I tried the code and it didn't work. I tried it again, carefully checking everything and it still didn't work. Rather than risk locking the phone further, I posted a message on the NUC thread requesting further help.

A moderator replied 2 days later with a private message that had details on how to get in touch and an escalation code to submit the online form.

The next day I decided to also use Vodafone chat and explained everything to the support agent who was very helpful and double checked the IMEI and unlock code provided before giving the direct email of the NUC Resolutions team. I sent the team a message by replying to the original Vodafone unlock email received and confirmed that the IMEI provided was correct and I'd entered the code exactly as they had given but the phone was still saying "unlock was unsuccessful".

An automated NUC Resolutions email was returned saying that to provide an unlock code, the IMEI needs to be provided and that the code could take up to 10 days to generate. Basically, the email said the same thing as the online NUC request form.

After waiting a few more days and hearing nothing, either from the forum escalation request or NUC Resolutions email, I used Vodafone chat support again and once more explained to the support agent that I had sent a message to NUC Resolutions but not yet had a reply.

The support agent was super helpful and after accessing my account, could see the notes from the previous chat. He said he would need to speak to his manager about what to do next and promised to text me back after a few hours.

Sure enough, after an hour I got a text from the support agent saying that they had escalated this with the NUC resolution team and that I should wait a bit longer for the code to be generated.

Four days later, I got a reply to my email to the NUC Resolutions team saying that they had re-confirmed with the manufacturer (Sony) who had supplied them with a new unlock code.

Bingo, the new code worked perfectly first time!

My phone is now unlocked and I can switch between SIMs as needed. Because I got the new code as a reply to my email to NUC Resolutions, and not the forum escalation request, it seems that using Vodafone chat got the NUC request escalated.

There are a lot of posts from customers who have been waiting weeks. Yes, it may take a while, but the delay might be from the manufacturer in supplying a new code rather than from Vodafone as sometimes the unlock code is only available from the mobile phone company. It's also worth trying Vodafone chat as they were very helpful for me.

So once again, thank you Vodafone for your support in getting my phone unlocked.

Regards, Vic

1 REPLY 1

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@cbmvic20 - Thanks for sharing your experience with us. I’m sorry that you had to contact all of our channels so many times, although I’m glad that your phone is now unlocked.

If you need any help in the future, then please let us know! ☺️