Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Unlock Code, living in Alberta

Alberta
1: Seeker

I have been given an old 5s from a family member in the UK for my daughter. I live in Alberta, Canada. I have tried several times to reqest the unlock code using UK family vodafone cell numbers. Each time it has been denied for various reasons.

I cant go and buy a vodafone pay as you go card and run it for a month.

The phone is a legitemate 'hand me down' My 13 year old daughter has gone from excited to "when can i use my phone?"

Can someone please help to get it unlocked?

Thank you

2 REPLIES 2

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Hi @Alberta

There are only two ways to choose from to gain an unlock from Vodafone Uk. 

1, Pay Monthly is x3 payments need to have been made on time and the phone used on the Vodafone Uk Network. 

2, Payg is a SIM card used in it for 30 days making calls which I understand you cannot do. 

So if possible can you ask the original owner to request its unlock. 

If you have then what’s the “various reasons” why the request has been denied ?

If not then it’s possible your options could be.....

1, Ask a stand-alone cellphone shop to see if they can unlock it. Please don’t use an online unlocking site as these can leave you with still an unlocked phone and a task to get your money back. 

2, Sell the iPhone and use the funds to buy one that’s open to your network or already unlocked. 

Tip,

An iPhone is not unlocked via inputting an unlock code but instead is unlocked via Apple and their Database.
 Vodafone would email you to confirm it's been requested after accepting your unlock request. (Check Spam Inboxes too)
 Apple then can take occasionally approximately up to 30 days sometimes to complete an unlock request made by a Network.
 Periodically insert an active Non-Vodafone Sim Card in the iPhone and hook up to iTunes.
 From the iPhone 5 onwards there's not normally the need to hook up to iTunes to complete the process.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

AnnS

Hi @Alberta

The only way you are going to get the phone unlocked to use on the Canadian network is to return the phone to the family member living in the UK and ask them to use the phone as PAYG on the local UK network for 30 days making some chargeable connections to associate the IMEI with the SIM.  As soon as this has been done, your family member will be in a good position to complete the unlock form as PAYG.

There is further information for you and your family member below.

Unlocking your device

A free SIM for your family members use in the UK can be obtained from the link below.

Free PAYG SIM