Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Unlock a broken phone

Louisethomas
1: Seeker

I want to sell my old Vodafone 5s, it’s completely broken, a buyer has asked for an unlock code so he can repair it. Vodafone told me that’s fine and they will send me a code. Today an email tells me I have to connect the phone to iTunes to unlock it, I can’t do this as the phone doesn’t work, he said I have to get it repaired at a Vodafone store! any advice is appreciated 

2 REPLIES 2

AnnS
17: Community Champion

Hi @Louisethomas

In order to get an iphone unlocked, when the unlock has been processed by Apple, this is done by using an alternative SIM in the phone other than a Vodafone SIM, or by synchronising to itunes with the other network SIM. If the phone is broken, this will not be possible, this means the phone will need to be in working order before being unlocked.  

The other alternative is to sell the phone as parts only and not in working order.

If you get the phone repaired, you will need to use a PAYG SIM in the phone for 30 days to associated the IMEI with the network and proceed as PAYG following the link below.

Unlock Phone

BandOfBrothers

@Louisethomas

An iPhone isn't unlocked via inputting a code but instead BY using an alternative Networks sim card when Vodafone have authorised Apple to release it from its database which can occasionally take 30 days. 

I would advise the potential buyer that your unable to unlock it due to the current status of the iPhone and to suggest the 30 day usage payg route as and when they manage to repair the iPhone. 

Be very clear on this so they can't raise any form of dispute. 

Unlocking is free but they'll need to minimum top up to make calls etc so it latches the iPhone's serial number to the new Payg account. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.