Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Unlock iPhone

eggdisk
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi

Trying to get an iPhone unlocked, seems like a very hard thing to do. Can I get a PM for someone at Vodafone to look at it?

Thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11 REPLIES 11

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion

Have you filled out the Unlocking request form and do you meet the criteria set for unlocking ?

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

Yes I've done the unlocking form twice. It's an iPhone 4S.

The first time I got a reply via email:

"We're getting your unlock code for you"

"This can take up to 10 working days, so please hold tight for now."

The second time I got this:

"There's a problem with your unlock request"

"You recently asked us to unlock your phone so you can use it on another network. However our records show we have already unlocked it."

The phone is not unlocked and does not work with a new SIM.

The first email from Vodafone was on the 23rd of September. I phoned them today and they don't have a record of anything. I need to speak to someone at Vodafone who can just sort it out. I asked if it can take longer than 10 days and they said "definitely not".

BandOfBrothers

Ok @eggdisk

An iPhone is not unlocked via inputting an unlock code but instead is unlocked via Apple and their Database.
 Vodafone would email you to confirm it's been requested after accepting your unlock request which I understand they’ve done.

It’s not unlocked at this stage. 

Apple then can take occasionally approximately up to 30 days sometimes to complete an unlock request made by a Network.
Periodically insert an active Non-Vodafone Sim Card in the iPhone and hook up to iTunes.

Current Phone  >

The Vodafone website says 10 working days. The email says 10 working days. The person from Vodafone customer support said it never takes more than 10 days. They said something has gone wrong and I should fill in the form again. I did that, and then got the reply saying the phone was unlocked. It's not unlocked.

I'm now paying for a contract based on this incorrect information. Vodafone said 10 working days in multiple places on their website and on the phone. That really grinds my goat.

I mentioned that timeframe in my first post as I'd read a bunch of the messages on this forum and seen comments saying it can take longer.

How can Vodafone possibly benefit from lying to customers? It's really annoying. I just want to skip ahead of the inevitable customer support nightmare and get someone at Vodafone to confirm what is going on. I don't have any faith that if I just leave it and wait 30 days then the phone will start working.

On the iPhone it shows a dialgoue saying "SIM failure". Then it says "Invalid SIM" in the top left. In iTunes it says this:

"The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported. The SIM card that you currently have installed in this iPhone is from a carrier that is not supported under the activation policy that is currently assigned by the activation server. This is not a hardware issue with the iPhone. Please insert another SIM card from a supported carrier or request that this iPhone be unlocked by your carrier. Please contact Apple for more information."

Why force customers to escalate complaints to ridiculous levels before a problem is taken seriously?  The inevitability of how this will eventually be resolved is so draining.

BandOfBrothers

Non iPhone's can be unlocked usually within 10 days if Vodafone have the unlock code on file. It can take longer if they need to contact the Manufacturer. 

It's different with iPhone's because there is no unlock code. It's Apple that release the iPhone via their Data base. 

It can be as quick as 10 days or earlier but can take up to 30 days occasionally which is from experience. 

I agree Vodafone could benefit from updating their help pages to clarify the process. 

Try inserting an active Non Vodafone Sim card periodically- if your iPhone is prior to an iPhone 5 then hook up to iTunes too. 

Current Phone  >

I really wanted to avoid posting all this in a public forum but I've got no choice now. I appreciate your replies but if a Vodafone employee reads it they will assume the matter is resolved, and that I'm just waiting for the phone to start working. This is not the case.

What concerns me is that Vodafone customer support had no record of anything and the phone didn't show up on my account. That is despite it being used with Vodafone for over 4 years. 

It was originally on a 2 year contract. I then got a new number and a SIM-only contract to give the phone to an employee. That was used for 2 years. This second number is the one I used on the unlock form.

After that SIM-only contract ended the phone wasn't used as I moved the number onto a new SIM only contract with an iPhone 5S, again with Vodafone. That is in use right now.

So this ancient iPhone 4S has been unused for a while. I am concerned that the unlock request has not gone through and there is a problem. I just want someone at Vodafone to check the status and make sure there is not an error. The person who I spoke to seemed to think something had gone wrong but they said it would never take more than 10 days so who knows what the current status is.

I really hate getting into this time wasting BS with companies, but I will have to escalate this if the phone is not being unlocked. I'm paying for a contract which cannot be used based on false information given to me by Vodafone. It's pretty cut and dry. It's so tiring having to go through this rigmarole. 

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@eggdisk - I’m sorry to hear the experience you’re having with this.  

We can look into what’s happening. Please get in touch with us by following the steps in this private message.

I've just had another auto-email from Vodafone about the unlocking so I'll try the phone again when I get home later. I'll reply to the PM in a few minutes!

Gemma
Community Manager
Community Manager

@eggdisk - If you still need help, please follow the steps in the private message. I sent to you, with how to get in touch with my team. :Smiling: