main_icn_My_Vodafone main_icn_Search main_icn_Chevron_right main_icn_Chevron_down main_icn_Close main_icn_Menu social-facebook social-google-plus social-linkedin social-twitter social-youtube main_icn_Community_or_Foundation main_icn_Location main_icn_Network_signal
Menu Toggle

Welcome to Vodafone Community

Other OS & Unlocking

Unlocking your phone (NUC)

Administrator

A network unlock code allows you to unlock your handset so that you can use a non-Vodafone SIM card.

Do I receive an unlocking code?

You will receive an email either with the unlocking code and steps to use it or, in the case of Apple devices, an email to confirm that we've requested the unlock by Apple. 

What to do if you’re experiencing problems after submitting the form.

Firstly check you’re entering it correctly. Network Unlocking Codes are case sensitive, so you’ll need to enter it exactly as it is on the email and check you’re following the instructions correctly.

You get a limited number of attempts to type in your code so, if you’re entering it correctly and It’s not working, we can help! Leave us a post on this thread and one of our team will be able to assist! Include as much information as possible to speed up the process, such as any error messages received and make/model of phone. 

If you’re waiting for an Unlocking Code, or haven’t received the auto response, check the information on Why am I having problems getting a network unlock code (NUC)?

Does the phone need to have been used on Vodafone UK?

Yes, even if you've bought your phone second-hand. For Pay as you go, you'll need to have been using your PAYG SIM in the phone for 30 days. For Pay monthly you'll need to have paid three bills on time.

Unless you're using an Apple product, your phone must be in the UK for the unlock to work.  

What if I have my phone exchanged?

If the handset has been exchanged by Vodafone UK then we can still request that your phone is unlocked. If the handset is exchanged via Apple or another third party (e.g. insurance claim) you’ll need to contact the company that provided your replacement for either an unlocking code, or you can ask the third party to notify us of the new IMEI details. We’re only able to request handset unlocks for phones that have been sold by Vodafone UK or if we've received the new IMEI details from the third party.

View more options
68 REPLIES
3: Seeker

ok i must be missing something? .. so any advice anyone can give with be very much appriciated.

My step-daughter gave me her old apple iphone 6 that she's had on contract for over 2 years with vodafone, now she's upgraded to a new phone (still with vodafone) i want to use my sim card in her old phone (giffgaff - 02)

so i read all the bumph online about how to do it, dead straight forwards (it sounds) so i get her to fill in the form, put in the IMEI number and sit and wait....

I get a mail back from vodafone a few days later saying the number is wrong?...Hmmm.. assuming they mean the IMEI is not right so i checked it and it's right.... then she tell me her nan ordered the phone for her and it's probably not worked because it the wrong email, fine, fair enough so i go see the mother-in-law and she gets all the paper work out and we sit and enter it all again, this time with her details (the bill payer) now baring in mind in 2 years there was never a missed a late payment so i'm thinkinh sorted!!.  Guess again the same email comes back saying the IMEI number is wrong, so i check the deatils she entered in and it's right including the IMEI number so i'm at a loss? short of getting the mother-in-law to ring vodafone and see what the crack is i'm banging my head against the wall, ALL details are correct and still (according to vodafone)  'computer sez no"

I have heard on the crape-vine from various people vodafone are a nightmare for getting your phone unlocked, even though your entitled to have a free unlock.

any help would be vary useful. Thanks

View more options
Administrator

@Dave_Stewart I can see you've checked multiple times to see if you've got the correct IMEI for the device, however I just want to check this with you one last time to make sure. 

On the device, click on the call dialer app and type *#06#  - then check the number which pops up against the number you've previously used. 

Let me know how you get on! 

View more options

Hi Alex, thanks for the reply, yes i checked it several times, (especially with it being a long number)

it's the same as when i first filled in the form online and again the second time when i filled it in with the mother-in-law.  I can give you the numer if that helps but what a MOD can do i've no idea, but i'd be more than happy to tell you the IMEI if you think that will help.

Again thanks for the reply Alex

View more options

Hi, 

I have a simlar problem.  We have a business account with 2x iPhone 6 that we need unlocking.  Each time I try the online form a day later I have recieved this:

What does this mean?

We can only unlock phones for customers who have made clear payments in the last three months.

What do you need to do?

Please make sure your last three bills are paid, or if you are a new customer your first three bills, then 

You can view your bills and make payments by logging into and registering onto 

We are all upto date, and have no idea why it keeps rejecting.  Everytime I talk to Vodafone they refer me to form or say the phones are unlocked.  They arn't and I'm a loss at what to do as I can't contact the unlock team.

View more options
2: Seeker

Hello, vodafone.

I got same problem, all my reqvests order unlock code , finished with e-mail:

i used my pay as you go sim card more that 30 days, imei is 100% correct,  it looks like vodafoe specially does it

my friend had such an issue, the vodafone always sends an automatic email that imey is wrong ... a friend stumbled and ordered the code for a fee from ebay ... for a surprise in a few days vodafone sends a letter at the code, the rectangle is your code but the money had already been paid on ebay .. it looks like vodafone employees steal the codes and sell them through ebay  

there is no other explanation for it.

Hello,

Thanks for getting in touch about unlocking a phone. Unfortunately, we can’t do this because the serial number (xxxxxxxxxxxx) you provided doesn’t match the one on your account.

This is a security measure we use to make sure the phone belongs to the person asking for it to be unlocked.

What you need to do next

You may have typed the wrong IMEI number into our form. Here’s the one you gave us so you can check:

xxxxxxxxxxxx

You can find your phone’s IMEI by entering *#06# on the call screen. If the number displayed doesn’t match the one above, simply click here to fill in our online form again with the correct number and we’ll get your unlock code to you as soon as we can.

View more options

@Dave_Stewart @Rob_IdontlikeVF @janisspainis - I’m sorry to hear the experience you’re all having with getting your phones unlocked.

It may be that we’ve got the incorrect IMEI number, recorded on your account.

So that we can look into this, please send us your details by following the instructions in this private message.

View more options

tried all the above and still no joy

My mother-in-law rang vodafone and they said she's need to go into a vodafone store with the information from when she's first had the phone, which she did, they say in store, it's not vodafone's problem you need to go back to the shop it was brought from, so she goes off to carphone wharehouse where the phone was brought from (on vodafone), they say it's not us you need to contact it's vodafone as it's locked to vodafone and only they can remove the network lock on it.!!!

it's becoming a joke now, why is it, it's a major task to get your phone unlocked when your entitled too have it done for free, all they surgest is buy a payg sim use it for 30 days and pay £20 to get the unlock for my phone.  Why should i do that?  i've read up on this, having the phone for more than 2 years I'm entitled to a FREE unlock from vodafone, yet it's anything but free, it's an absolute joke is what it is.  I've got a phone i cant do nothing with other than use it on vodafone, unless i pay a phone unlocking company to do it and the cheapest i've found is £35 so that aint goiing to happen.  Lets face it for anyone else reading this, if you've got a phone on vodafone and you want it unlocking to all networks (even if your entitled to it) by vodafone you've got about as much chance as winning the lottery. 

why people still use vodafone is beyond me?, no wonder they wont give you a unlock code cus they know your going to use another none vodafone sim in it... and who would blame anyone for wanting to move off vodafone.

View more options
17: Community Champion

Hi @Dave_Stewart

Vodafone can only unlock phones which they provided and are on the data base.  For this reason, Vodafone need to update the IMEI to your account.

To save all this messing around, it would be a lot simpler and save you a lot of trouble and time just to simply get yourself a Vodafone PAYG SIM, use it in the phone for 30 days to associate the IMEI to the PAYG account.  At the end of 30 days, complete the form as PAYG and you get the unlocking processed.  

View more options

thanks for your advice but thats not going to happen, seriously i'd rather bin the phone or give it away than have to pay anything to vodafone, especially when it should be unlocked for free, the phone has been on contract with vodafone for over 2 years so why should i have to pay more to get it unlocked, would you?

View more options
17: Community Champion

@Dave_Stewart

Unlocking is free on pay monthly and PAYG, there is no charge.  All you need to do is use the SIM in the phone for 30 days, after which time, you will have no issues whatsoever getting the phone unlocked.

View more options

nar, i'm goning to sell it, I've had enough of it,  i'm not waisting another 30 days having to give everyone a new number then going back to my original sim, it's just not worth the hassle or my time,  this should be a very simple thing to do, vodafone just dont like losing your money and you going else where thats what it boils down too. 

View more options

I've been having the exact same problem after giving my neice (who is on Tesco Mobile) my old Galaxy 6 Edge. I have the NUC code but the phone is asking for the PUK:

When placing her SIM into the 6 Edge I'm getting the message "SIM network PIN blocked. Enter SIM network PUK". I have used the PUK code Tesco have provided for her SIM and this did not work, I then tried the NUC code provided by Vodafone to unlock the phone - this also did not work. Since then - out of desperation - I have tried my Voda PUK code with her SIM and still nothing.

I have followed the simple instructions of powering the phone off, installing the Tesco SIM, powering on the device  but the first message I get is the request for the "SIM Network PUK", NOT the NUC which I'm told to expect. What I don't understand is how the other network is requesting the PUK if the phone is locked and not letting the SIM connect to its intended network (Tesco)?

I've not heard back from the nucresolutions team since the 8th of September where last advised them that this is not working. Can someone please advise, preferably with something productive please?

Thanks

View more options

@Dave_Stewart So we can take a look into this further for you, I've sent you a private message.

@phatts79 As you've said you've already received a NUC (Network Unlock Code) from Vodafone UK, It sounds like you need a PUK (Personal Unblocking Key) from your new network provider to unlock the SIM.

View more options

Thanks for the quick reply John but I've already tried the PUK for the Tesco SIM but still no luck. I've asked my niece to get Tesco to send a new SIM in the hope that a refresh of the account info and new PUK should sort this problem but if you have anything else I can try in the meantime I'd appreciate your help.

Thanks

View more options

@phatts79 Trying a new SIM to the Network you wish to join is the right step to take.

Please let us know how you get on.

View more options
1: Seeker

Hello, 

I have had some problems trying to get my old phone unlocked, 

I upgraded from the Nokia lumia 930 earlier this year and went though the online unlocking process. shortly after I recieved an email to say 'We did not have the code on our database so we have asked your phone manufacturer for it.'

A few days later I had a follow up message to say that my IMEI number was inccorect 'You asked us to unlock your phone so you can use it on another network, but the IMEI (serial number) number you gave us () is not showing on our systems as being provided by us.' 

I though the fault was mine so I used the online form again and ensured that the IMEI number was correct however a response was sent to say 'your requested NUC via online form but a NUC request has already been processed for this IMEI so this has been rejected due to fraud rules. We insist on this as prevention against fraud.' 

The advice was to contact Vodafone.  I have called numer of times, which have all been unsucessful. The only direct option for phone unlocking on the phone system refers me back to the online form and then ends the phone call. This has meant that I have been going though to the wrong department to be able to speak to someone. 

I hope there is a way to get this sorted, it would be a shame to let a perfectly good phone go to waste. 

View more options

Hi,

I've got the same problem as a lot of people here. My mam gave me her iphone 6 bought from Carphone Warehouse but she has a Vodafone contract. I'm on EE so she tried to get the phone unlocked. After completing the form online she got an email saying to check the IMEI. We've checked numerous times and its correct. We've been into a Vodafone store and they sent us to Carphone Warehouse, who said they can't unlock phones and to go back to Vodafone. We're in 'no mans land' as no-one will take responsibility. My mam's had her Vodafone contract for as long as I remember so this is no way to be treated. It's as if Vodafone are punishing her for daring to buy a handset from somewhere else! What can we do?

Thanks, Victoria

View more options

@hollyjaynesmith - It’s not good to hear how long it’s taking to get this resolved.

So that we can access your account, please send us your details by following the instructions in this private message.

@v8vkt - I’m sorry to hear the experience you’re having.

If your mum is the account holder, please ask her to contact us through the steps in this private message.

View more options

I requested an unlocking code on 4 September and received an email from you telling me that you have requested the code but it may take 10 working days. It has now been 10 working days since this request but I have yet to receive the code. Could you please check the status of this request. I am unable to send you the IMEI number in this communication aooarently but can supply this.

Many thanks.

Mike Box

View more options