cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Why is it so difficult to get Vodafone to unlock an iphone 4s???

minifan610
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hi,

Seems that trying to get vodafone to unlock iphones is a recurring issue?  Basically, I have been given an old iphone 4s from a family member because my phone has been irreparably damaged.  The phone was originally on a contract with vodafone which ended nearly a year ago.  When the contract ended, the family member got a new contract with a different provider, keeping her mobile number the same.  I would like to unlock the iphone so that I can use my current contract sim with the handset.

I initially completed an unlocking request form as suggested on vodafone's website.  I used the original account owners details and yet had an email back saying that the IMEI number was incorrect.  I know for a fact that it is not incorrect.  I have since seen numerous other posts from people complaining of the same issue which concerns me.  To remove all doubt, I repeated the process twice more with exactly the same outcome.

I then spoke to numerous technicians on vodafone live chat.  The majority could not help but two seemed more helpful.  The first went through all security details and despite the fact that they could not find the original mobile number on the system (I had to explain that this has been moved to a new contract several times), they managed to find the account with other security details.  The original owner of the phone verified their details and authorised the unlocking of the phone with them.  Conversation ended with the technician reassuring me that everything matched their account and that we would receive an email in 2 working days to say that the phone had been unlocked.  An hour later, we receive another email saying that the request was unsuccessful because the IMEI did not match - the technician confirmed that it did??? 

I then spoke to yet another technician explaining the above.  I repeated all the security questions for a second time and for the second time I was told that yes, they could find the phone's account, the details were verified but then I was told that I should contact NUCresolutions.  Again, I have read several other posts describing this course of action.

I emailed NUCresolutions with the details above and information that the technician requested I send.  I was told that I would receive a reply within 2 working days about the action to follow.  Both times I emailed NUCresolutions, I received an automated email back telling me that to unlock the phone I needed an NUC code (I already know this but vodafone don't seem to want to give me one?)  The automated response makes me wonder whether the email will actually be seen or read?

It is now over the number of working days specified and I have received nothing back.  It is getting frustrating now, especially since I am in desperate need of a phone and the phone in question is several years old.  As something we are entitled to, why does vodafone want to make it so difficult to simply unlock a phone that has been paid for in full??

Sorry for the rant.  Any advice?

2 REPLIES 2

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

It sounds like due to the timeframe the iPhone hasn’t been used on the network it’s imei has dropped off Vodafone’s systems. 

My suggestion is to pick up a Vodafone Payg SIM card and use it in the iPhone making calls etc for 30 days and then use the new Payg details to request its unlock. 

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

John
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@minifan610 We'd love to help you further.
We'll need to speak to the original owner directly - I've sent you a private message with details on how the account holder can get in touch with our dedicated team.