Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

iPhone 5s Unlocking

Ollyj
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

Hello

My wife and I have been trying to get her old iPhone 5s unlocked so I can use it with my 02 sim. Both times we've tried the online form we've been denied an unlocking code because 'the serial number (IMEI) you provided doesn’t match the one on your account.'

Well, this is not true. It does. It certainly matches the one on the back of the phone. We've both done this independently and been told the same thing twice. I've been into a Vodaphone store today and was simply told there was nothing they could do - that I would have to keep trying online.

My wife fully paid for this phone, over a two year contract. The contract ended a year ago. It is her phone to unlock or do whatever she pleases with - not Vodaphone's phone to continue restricting.

I can see from the message boards that many other people have had similar problems. I'd appreciate a swift solution - ideally from someone at Vodaphone.

Thanks

1 REPLY 1

BandOfBrothers
17: Community Champion
17: Community Champion

Sometimes if there has been an extended period of time that a Vodafone sim card has been used in the phone then the phones serial number can drop off their systems which is why they can't validate it. 

Best practice is to either use her Vodafone Sim in it if the contract is still running to re latch it's imei number to their systems via making calls and texts etc or alternatively pick up a Vodafone Payg SIM card and use it to make calls etc for 30 days and then use the new Payg details to request the unlock. 

The Vodafone Stores can't help and neither will Apple. 

Just to add > The iPhone is not unlocked via inputting an unlock code like other phone makes are, but instead is unlocked remotely via Apple and their Database.

The Vodafone Network typically lets a person know it's unlocking has been requested to Apple after accepting your online unlock request. (Please Check Spam Inboxes too)

Apple then process the Networks request and occasionally this can take approximately up to 30 days sometimes to complete an unlock request made by a Network.

Please Periodically insert an active Alternative Networks Sim Card in the iPhone and hook up to iTunes. When it's unlocked you should see a pop up message and the alternatives Networks name will show in the iPhone's status bar. 

From the iPhone 5 onwards there's not normally the need to hook up to iTunes to complete the process.

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.