Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

wifi calling

Samtroll
2: Seeker
2: Seeker

I have very weak signal where I live - de13 area - and as the cells breath it just disappears completely from time to time, at best I can get 3 bars of edge signal and I was wondering when the wifi calling will be available on xperia xz1, it has the Vodafone software on it with all the latest updates, also when the volte will be available on this phone? 

12 REPLIES 12

63johnw
17: Community Champion

Hi @Samtroll I would doubt that your phone will be added to the list now as they tend to add only a few of the newest premium phones.

https://www.vodafone.co.uk/explore/network/network-improvements/wi-fi-calling/

As for Volte it's still being rolled gradually and as far as I am aware it should be available on most newish phones.

BandOfBrothers

Have you considered a Sure Signal device that costs a one off £69 to use while at home. 

This device works off home Broadband and creates a 3g signal. 

As mentioned by @63johnw voLTE is only for a few eligible phones in a few selected cities. This is calling over 4g which if your signal is poor then that may not help. 

Calling Over WiFi is very much in its infancy so imo Vodafone will want to ensure any bugs / incompatibilities are fully ironed out before adding more phone models and hopefully texting over the service too. 

I can only suggest to keep an eye on the official Vodafone Blog @Samtroll

Current Phone  >

Samsung Galaxy s²³ Ultra 512gb Phantom Black.

they activated volte on my phone with the latest update, it's now live in Lichfield city centre, the phone signal stays on 4g+ when i'm making a call, also the volte setting on/off toggle appeared in hidden settings menu (testing), which was previously greyed out with the previous build. just need to wait for the wifi calling now. 

Colleen
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Samtroll This is great to hear, thanks for taking the time to let us know 😊

no problem, any idea when the wifi calling would be activated on this model (xperia xz1)? 

I was thinking about getting the sure signal, but it seems like a waste of money and outdated technology , if they gonna switch on the wifi calling anyway. Also any idea where I get some info when the VF gonna upgrade the cell towers in my home area (de13, Alrewas willage)? 

JohnJ
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Samtroll A Vodafone Sure Signal device is a great way to make calls, text and use data in areas where coverage is poor.

Wi-Fi Calling only allows your to make calls only and is only provided to handsets that are supported - If you're unsure whether yours is, we'd recommend contacting the phones manufacture to find out.

Please feel free to click the hyperlinks, to find out more about these services. 🙂 

Hi JohnJ, my phone (xperia xz1) definitely supportes wifi calling, it just needs to be switched on from Vodafone's side, and I don't really feel like investing another 70 quid in sure signal as the wifi calling will be available in short time. 

John
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

@Samtroll We don't currently support Wi-Fi Calling for your phone - please check out our full list of supported devices here.
For updates on the signal in your area, you can check this on our network status checker under the planned maintenance tab.