Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

925 - Black Screen

LouiseS
2: Seeker
Afternoon Guys, I have had an ongoing battle with my Nokia Lumia 925 in relation to the screen blacking out on me. It happened again today where it went black but this time a reset failed for over an hour - I must have tried 10 times and with no joy, the vibrate happened but nothing else. Finally it has started working again. My concern though, is that this has been ongoing for quite sometime and none of the updates seem to be resolving the issue which is beyond frustrating now. It also seems to be occurring more frequently. I have noticed a few other issues - using Here maps the phone is boiling hot, headphones are tempermental - sometimes low sound, only one ear etc - 3 headphone sets tried, calls dropping out or no reception on the phone whatsoever. I use the phone for work purposes so it is really not ideal. I was considering upgrading to the Nokia Lumia 930 but I can see there are a lot of issues with that too - all very similar to the 925. Has anyone got a steady fix? I love the phone but it's not practical. Thanks, Louise
6 REPLIES 6

hrym
17: Community Champion

I'm not sure of the procedure on a Windows device, but the first port of call would probably be a reset.  Don't forget to back up your content first.   If that doesn't solve it, then it'll need to go for repair, but it would get reset in that process anyway, so you've lost nothing.

Thanks for your response! A reset is always the first port of call I do and eventually it does work but it is only a temporary fix as the fault always returns frustratingly. I suppose I may stick to it until the contract is up. Is there anyone from VF on here who could maybe contact me in relation to terminating the contract - even just a general cost would give me an idea on where to go? As it's not early enough to upgrade so potentially a monthly SIM card and just purchasing phones may be better for this.

hrym

The Early Termination Fee will be your montly payment minus the VAT and with a 2% discount.  The exact sum will depend on when you do it, but you can get a pretty clear idea of it from that.

If you do go ahead, add a SIM-only deal to your account first and ask about porting your number to it if you want to keep it.  If you cancel the contract, you'll lose the number straight away.  Mind you, internal porting isn't always easy and you may have to go via PAYG first.  191 or Live Chat can quote you the ETF and should be able to progress it for you, but I'd be inclined to wait for the forum team to confirm the porting process - ie: don't do anything until you've spoken to them.   They'll pick up your post in due course.

Bear in mind that you have a warranty on the device and you can ask Vodafone or Nokia to repair it.   If you buy a device outright, it could still go wrong.

Hi LouiseS

If a reset hasn’t fixed the issue, I’d recommend a repair.

If you want to upgrade early, as hrym says there’s an early termination fee.

Bear in mind that when you type a particular phone error into a search engine, it’ll come up with people experiencing the same issue. It doesn’t necessarily mean it’s a common fault, as it’s a small percentage of devices compared to how many are actually sold.

The Nokia Lumia 930 is a great phone. I’ve been really impressed when using one.

Thanks,

Simon

LouiseS
I appreciate the response and what you mean about searching for errors but that wasn't what i had done I just searched for reviews and found quite alot of negative.
I'm going to leave the phone for now and see how it gets on and check around.
It shows there is a cost for repairs, does it cost when in warranty?

hrym

If your phone is faulty, there wouldn't be a cost for the repair unless it was damaged.  In the event that Vodafone turn down a warranty repair (which I'm going to assume is unlikely), you can always go to Nokia who may take a more pragmatic view.