cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

Can't connect to internet by WAP or Internet, only Wifi - help!

pink82
4: Newbie

Hey all,

This afternoon I received an MMS and it wouldn't come through, so I changed the settings of my MMS APN.  I think I changed the Proxy bit and entered an IP address; all was fine and my MMS came through, happy days!

Since then however, I have been unable to connect to the internet by my Contract WAP or Internet settings!  I've tried all sorts, and called Vodafone where I was advised to pull out the battery and SIM card etc.  Still no luck.  The lady on the phone then sent me settings by text, didn't work.  I've been emailed the settings, and opened the PDF to read that the settings are preset and cannot be changed - WTF?  What was the point in even sending me the document?!  Also, since she sent me the WAP settings I have now lost my MMS settings - argh!!! :smileymad:

Anyway, wifi is fine.  I just need to know what is missing from my WAP and Internet APNs so that I can get back on the internet when not connected to wifi.

They are as follows:

Contract WAP -

Packet Data

Access Point Name: wap.vodafone.co.uk

User name: wap

Password: wap

Prompt password: Unchecked

Use Proxy: Unchecked

IP Addresses: Auto-retrieve

DNS: Auto-retrieve

Vodafone Internet -

Packet Data

Access Point Name: internet

User name: web

Password: web

Prompt password: Unchecked

Use Proxy: Unchecked

IP Addresses: Auto-retrieve

DNS: Auto-retrieve

Is there something wrong with my settings, or is it network related maybe?  Please help coz it's driving me mad!  Thanks :smileyhappy:

13 REPLIES 13

Retired-Wayne
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi pink82

Thanks for your post here. I'm sorry to hear of the trouble you are having with this :Sad_face:

The settings you have provided there are spot on so I'm not entirely sure why this isn't working for you. Can you confirm to me exactly what happens when you try and connect to the internet? Do you get any error messages? If so what are they?

If its easier for you it might be worth just backing everything up and performing a master reset as the settings are already preconfigured in the handset.

Please let me know how you get on and if you have any more questions we'll be happy to help you further

Thanks

Wayne

eForum Team

Hey Wayne,

Thanks for replying, but in typical sod's law it's working now!  Must have been a network issue or something because both WAP and Internet work fine today!  :smileyhappy:

I just need to sort out my MMS settings once again, and if it goes belly up I'll come back and give you a shout.

Thanks and have a good Christmas! :smileyvery-happy:

It's doing it again! :smileysad:

It only seems to happen when i'm not at home. Sometimes it works but most of the time it doesn't.

When I open a web page, the blue progess bar just goes left to right and the page stays blank.

Retired-James
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Pink82,

To be honest I think we need to look at doing a master reset after backing up your details as suggested by Wayne, if this still doesn't resolve the issue then the next step would be to send your handset off for a free of charge repair from your local Vodafone store.

James

eForum Team

Hi James,

Thanks for you reply, however it wouldn't be worth the bother of sending it for repair as it's due for upgrade on the 26th Jan.

There is some good news though, the issue is only when I'm at work, not out and about anywhere else or at home.  I noticed a thread in the Using the Network forum for network faults in the SK13 area, and my work is SK8 so perhaps there's a link?  If you could look into this for me I'd be very grateful :smileyhappy:

Retired-Trev
Moderator (Retired)
Moderator (Retired)

Hi Pink82

It's unlikely an issue in the SK13 area, would lso cover the SK8 area. :smileysurprised:

I can check for any issues or faults there, but I'd need the full postcode to do this, so if you can kindly supply this, I'd be happy to help.

Regards

Trev

eForum Team

Wonder if it's the same problem I've been having for quite some time now, where some days the handset is constantly switching from one mast to another.

@ Pink82

If you want to see if this is the case, install a small program called "CellTowerInfo" from the repos. When you run this it will tell you the cell Id of the mast that you're currently connected to.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
Once in a while I drift in time. To a place in my memory where it still hurts to find
I was takin' on the World with a see through smile. But dyin' on the inside all the while
I was dyin' on the inside all the while.

Hey Mick :Smiling:

I spoke to someone at Vodafone who's looking into it for me, but haven't heard back as yet.  However, I'm upgrading to an iPhone 4 next week so it's not that big a deal anymore!

So I guess as of next week I won't be in this forum anymore, so I'd just like to say thanks for all your help over the past year or so with my queries, you've always been a big help and it's much appreciated.  Cheers and take care! :smileyvery-happy:

Ahhhhhh, you're going over to the dark side then?:smileytongue:

If your signal issues don't improve by then it'll be interesting to know if they carry over to the iPhone.

Looks like I'm gonna have to look elsewhere for answers to my problem.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
Once in a while I drift in time. To a place in my memory where it still hurts to find
I was takin' on the World with a see through smile. But dyin' on the inside all the while
I was dyin' on the inside all the while.