cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ask

Solution

How to avoid charges for Long Text Messages?

Icksieray
2: Seeker
I have a Nokia 1520 and keep getting charged for sending the odd text message because, as I have been told by Vodafone, when a text message is over 160 characters, my phone automatically converts it to a Photo Message, which are not inclusive under the terms of my contract. Vodafone have also told me they do not charge for text messages above this conversion limit but to stop them from converting to Photo Messages and thus incurring a charge I have to change settings on my phone. Strangely, Vodafone say they cannot tell me how to do this and have suggested I post a request for instruction via this forum, so here I am, asking for help with this problem. - Please!
33 REPLIES 33

Icksieray
Yes, no problem when I was on T-Mobile with HTC Titan, and no problem over all my years, with O2, with various makes/models of phone.either the phone split it into 2 or more, or more recently sent them as one, as a Text Message, never have they converted to a Picture Message! - Thank you for your concern, much appreciated!

Hi Icksieray,

When I send a long text on my Lumia 920, I see the same as SynthFG mentioned here.

The only option I can suggest is a full factory reset.

You can see how to do this here.

Make sure any important data is backed up first.

Thanks,

Andy

Icksieray
I think I will have to get on to Vodafone Tech on the phone, not easy these day's, given all companies trying to make their customers contact them, by remote only, failing that, will try to talk to someone at nokia.

A reset is a big thing and has already been carried out a couple of time's during major phone updates. So will hold off on that one for now, but many thanks for the suggestion.

Raymond

SynthFG
Community Champion (Retired)

Not really sure what is going on with your handset as the mrs's phone on voda correctly splits the message

One thing I did note is that you dont get the charicter count info until the message you are writing is over about 130 charicters sowe can rule out network settings

If you can draft a message of over this limit and take a screenshot it might help 

Otherwise let someone at either a Vf store or CPWH repair centre take a look at it 

sigbar.png

Note I do not work for voda, My advice comes from experience and my opinions are my own

Cliveorr
I've also been charged for a few "long messages" on my lumia 625. Never worried about it as it was a small amount comparatively and not very often. Also seemed inconsistent with all the long texts I'd sent only charging for one and not another which was maybe same length or longer. I suppose if this happens to a few million customers each month it's a nice little earner for someone, or is that me being to cynical?

Hi Cliveorr,

My Lumia 920 doesn’t convert texts to MMS.

All my messaging settings are set to off.

To check yours:

• Tap Settings
  • Swipe the screen left to show ‘Applications’
  • Tap messaging
  • Set everything to off

Hi Icksieray,

Have you had chance to try the factory reset to see if this solves the issue?

Thanks,

Andy

Exactly - it IS a nice little earner.  Really pppps me off!

Icksieray
No, think that is exactly, what it is about, as Vodafone seem very reluctant to sort it out. I never had it with any other Supplier. I have now put a post on their Facebook Page and suggested this and my golly the brown stuff has hit the fan!

SynthFG

It's the handset, not the network that controls this

being as we have established that

1) Voda's network does support splitting long texts into multiple messages

and

2) You did not source your handset direct from voda, 

We can rule out voda as the source of the issue and have to either look at your handset or the way you are using it

Did you try just drafting a message over 130 or so charicters and seeing what your phone displays

Also wild idea but do you use emoticons or similar in your messages, not sure how the phone handles these

sigbar.png

Note I do not work for voda, My advice comes from experience and my opinions are my own

I have been charged for the first time for long txt messages, first time in 10 years so I was very shocked & when I phoned Vodafone they told me it's been in a long time, so as I didn't know they will refund me £5.00. I have a samsung mini Galaxy III & I cannot find anything on my phone to stop or sort it out. The Vodafone personnel told me it is after 120 Characters but other people on the Forum have said 160, but some of my txts were short & I was still charges on ALL INCLUSIVE !!!!